CRHing Slab Success

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Got my clad half dollar error back from NGC this week. It came back certified MS-65, Mint Error, Struck Off Center. I knew it was broadstruck (struck without the collar), but was very happy NGC also called it off center. It's one of the coolest finds I've gotten CRHing. I checked Ebay and such. I think it's worth about $150. However, it's not for sale!!!! Will try to get a picture up soon.

HH, as Rileyboy says "It's out there"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Numismaniac

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Here is the pic. Sweet!!!

ForumRunner_20130130_192523.png

OP
OP
Numismaniac

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Sag is right, cheapest is $12 per coin, but errors cost about double that. However..... Sometimes it's worth it as they bring more when you sell them.... I'm pretty picky with what I send in as I'm cheap.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, glad you found a coin worthy of being slabbed, and in MS65 too! Thanks for sharing,
HH
Buff

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I love to see coins graded found from CRH - an official "cull"

I found one that looked very similar to this two weeks ago. I set it aside on my couch, and was considering whether it would be worth a premium. Now I'm kicking myself because I either lost it or used it to replace a 40%er - ouch!

nice cull, nice post - but sucks to be me!

HH

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie here can someone explain off center and how to find. I get the concept but is it because his hair is touching the words?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I love to see coins graded found from CRH - an official "cull"

I found one that looked very similar to this two weeks ago. I set it aside on my couch, and was considering whether it would be worth a premium. Now I'm kicking myself because I either lost it or used it to replace a 40%er - ouch!

nice cull, nice post - but sucks to be me!

HH

heck yea I just found it! 1983 P, far enough off center to the right that the very top of the "Y" in liberty is cut off. no wear, but not enough luster and eye appeal to be graded an MS65. what would that make it, an MS60? the obverse looks like a weak strike for this date. if I send it in I'll keep ya posted.

OP
OP
Numismaniac

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
heck yea I just found it! 1983 P, far enough off center to the right that the very top of the "Y" in liberty is cut off. no wear, but not enough luster and eye appeal to be graded an MS65. what would that make it, an MS60? the obverse looks like a weak strike for this date. if I send it in I'll keep ya posted.

Probably either AU58 or MS61 to 63 then. Hard to tell without seeing it. Remember that to be offcenter or broadstruck, it should have a plain edge since it was struck outside the collar that puts the reeding on the coin. Otherwise it's most likely misaligned dies. Good luck!!!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Newbie here can someone explain off center and how to find. I get the concept but is it because his hair is touching the words?

The hair touching the words is part of the design. The design would be shifted to the right or left of normal position.

From this:

1921-D_$1_Morgan_Dollar--Struck_13%25_Off_Center--AU58_PCGS._Reverse.jpg

to this:

061-3.jpg

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really awesome. I'd love to find something slab-worthy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread