Ryedale Indian Question

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run a zincoln as your comparison coin instead of a copper one. Then the 'rejects' will be coppers, wheats and IHC.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
Run a zincoln as your comparison coin instead of a copper one. Then the 'rejects' will be coppers, wheats and IHC.

That is what I do, but how reliable or accurate do you think it is. I have tested old wheats and ihc's I have with 100% success just not sure if that is always the case. For some reason I don't hear many people running like this and with it being so obvious, I figured it must be deficient.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I hear, not all zincs work great. But I got one that I've never had issues with. I've personally checked it at being 99.9% accurate. One or two cent out of a box isn't bad.

I always run them twice. You might get damaged cents in the good stuff. but the damaged zincs usually come out on the second sort.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other

tried it, interesting idea but copper works better overall, plus you do not want the bulk of your coins going through the non-reject drop, it will wear the comparator out. IF anyone does do this; Only do this with the copper pile, so most coins will be rejected, and you will get the occasional non-reject.

Also, alot of the wheats do end up in the zinc pile simply from oxidation, corrosion, and not very consistent metal makeup, which makes it read it slightly different. Best bet is to get a bright light, and watch the coins as they fall in.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how going thru the accept slot causes more wear... Every coin hits the comparitor and then drops A or B path...

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used or even seen a Ryedale in person, but I've always assumed the reason that most folks do not use a zincoln as the "comparitor" coin is this: As no machine is going to be 100% accurate, it would be better to have an occasional "keeper" fall into the zinc pile than to have the occasional zinc in the copper pile. People that use Ryedales either sell copper cents now or plan to in the future. Buyers of these copper cents would not be happy if there are stray zincolns in there.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used or even seen a Ryedale in person, but I've always assumed the reason that most folks do not use a zincoln as the "comparitor" coin is this: As no machine is going to be 100% accurate, it would be better to have an occasional "keeper" fall into the zinc pile than to have the occasional zinc in the copper pile. People that use Ryedales either sell copper cents now or plan to in the future. Buyers of these copper cents would not be happy if there are stray zincolns in there.

I disagree, if you run a copper, you're going to have to look in both piles for wheats. I think missing a "keeper" when doing that could mean missing a pre-1930 wheat or IHC. That's not acceptable.

I guess what I'm drawing from this topic is that I must have an amazing comparitor or the best zinc sample ever.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I disagree, if you run a copper, you're going to have to look in both piles for wheats. I think missing a "keeper" when doing that could mean missing a pre-1930 wheat or IHC. That's not acceptable.

I guess what I'm drawing from this topic is that I must have an amazing comparitor or the best zinc sample ever.

this and I have the 2nd best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread