I see lots of stuff under the coinstar grate, some ideas?

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my local safeway just to check out and see what's under the grate,
IMG_20130125_101345_607.jpg
So if I take a bamboo skewer and push everything towards the coin intake side will it fall out or where does it go? Back into the machine?
How do i get the stuff in there out? I see a few dimes and gold colored items.
Who is the coinstar expert here?!

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the one at my grocery store the tray will pull up so you can fit your hand through the back, also there is another one i know of that the whole sifter tray lifts out of the machine. Both I have found misc stuff in.

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take a pencil and stick a piece of gum on the end, stick it down there and pull out what you want.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I see lots of stuff under the coinstar grate, some ideas?"

Umm, get a girlfriend? :dontknow:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
"I see lots of stuff under the coinstar grate, some ideas?"

Umm, get a girlfriend? :dontknow:

I don't know about you, but I think you need to get a girlfriend because apparently you are not a good judge of human hand size, a female's hand would not be able to fit underneath the grate either just for your information. I don't even think a child's hand could fit.

The new Dyson vacuum cleaners are really portable, small, easy to use, battery powered, I've used it on a couple of local coin stars (not under the grate), but I think they would at least be able to get the coins into the hopper/bin, and if they were silver odds are they will fall out into the reject tray.

This is the one I use:

Dyson-DC35-and-Dyson-DC31.jpg

Last edited:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
If its in a store, complain to one of the managers about how nasty the machine is. At our store we have to clean it once a week which usually means me. You can't really stick anything down there to push it along because 1) you could push all the junk into the counter wheel and mess up the machine for only a few dimes and 2) there's a ramp that prevents all the junk from going into the counter. If you can get the employee to open it up,'help' them out by getting a plastic bag to 'throw' away all that garbage and while you are at it, have the employee check the internal reject bin under the counter wheel. usually its a small black cup right under the metal wheel. I have found 12 dollars worth of Ikes at time.

also I wrote coinstar about buying reject coins and they said that they don't have anything to do with all the reject coins, that it goes to the store and they decide what to do with it. I know for our store that's bonany (sp) because the guy takes the coins all the time. I think he considers it a perk of the job. he actually accused one of our workers about using a glass cleaner spray on the counter wheel and gummed it up so even though my co-workers knew it wasn't me, I couldn't go near the machine for months. I think he found out that someone was taking the reject coins and was seriously miffed.

that being said, ask a manager to open the machine. it will give you a first hand account of what goes on in the machines. worse comes to worse, they will just say no.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I thought I was the only one looking under there..lol.. The best way to do it , is to tell someone that works there you lost somethign in the hole. The store has access to the machine, As I have jammed them up a few times...whats crazy is when they open the front of the machine, there are tons of goodies. There is actually a reject bin on the inside of the machine. Last time I jammed the machine, the girl dumped the reject bin into my pile of coins, and there was about 2 bucks in it..If you ask nicley, they will open it for you

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just thinking- when does pilfering the coinstar machine cross the line of theft?

I've never actually looked in one, guess I'll have to now, just out of curiosity. But the thing I'm thinking is that if I'm the owner of the machine, and coins are inside the machine, not in the public access reject slot.... but inside the machine-

It's like, 'How far can you reach up into the coke machine with a coat hanger to get a free coke without it being considered stealing?'

Is fifteen cents worth the possible retail theft charge?

Just asking, not judging.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol @ all the coinstar pirates on here

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just thinking- when does pilfering the coinstar machine cross the line of theft?

I've never actually looked in one, guess I'll have to now, just out of curiosity. But the thing I'm thinking is that if I'm the owner of the machine, and coins are inside the machine, not in the public access reject slot.... but inside the machine-

It's like, 'How far can you reach up into the coke machine with a coat hanger to get a free coke without it being considered stealing?'

Is fifteen cents worth the possible retail theft charge?

Just asking, not judging.

Its not theft since the money inside that portion of the machine is not accounted for. Its not like the soda-pop machine example; since that is steeling. The party who's money it was in the first place did not get their money, coinstar has no right for it to be theirs UNLESS it was counted/added totals.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Its not theft since the money inside that portion of the machine is not accounted for.

The party who's money it was in the first place did not get their money, coinstar has no right for it to be theirs UNLESS it was counted/added totals.

Okay, I think I understand now. It's like the change collection slot/bucket outside the drive thru window at the McDonalds. Since they have not yet accounted for it, or added it to their totals, and the people it's intended for have not yet taken custody of it either, the money is technically abandoned.

Now I'm catching up... Thanks, I was stuck in the old school of thought.

Last edited:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrong, the people who dump at the drive-through, do not intend to get a product or service back for giving them the change; therefore removal of items from it is theft. The coinstar should count ALL of the currency someone drops in it, and technically its along the lines of theft to short the customer.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrong, the people who dump at the drive-through, do not intend to get a product or service back for giving them the change; therefore removal of items from it is theft. The coinstar should count ALL of the currency someone drops in it, and technically its along the lines of theft to short the customer.

Okay, I'm sorry if I'm a bit slow. I think I really have it now.

It's like tossing money into the honor system can at the County Park. I have to put a dollar in the box to go into the park. I intend to use the park/service. But since they have not yet accounted for the money in the Honor Box, it's not the counties money yet.

I'm up now, thank you for your help. Most beneficial.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never found anything good there. Just put some gum on a stick and get the stuff out. The real coin vein is under. I've seen machines were the bottom was filled with coins.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about you, but I think you need to get a girlfriend because apparently you are not a good judge of human hand size, a female's hand would not be able to fit underneath the grate either just for your information. I don't even think a child's hand could fit.

The new Dyson vacuum cleaners are really portable, small, easy to use, battery powered, I've used it on a couple of local coin stars (not under the grate), but I think they would at least be able to get the coins into the hopper/bin, and if they were silver odds are they will fall out into the reject tray.

This is the one I use:

Dyson-DC35-and-Dyson-DC31.jpg

I can see it now, I walk in my bank with that thing and they would call 911 thinking its a gun. My photo on the front page with me having my head banged against the police car.(I would resist).

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Backpack blower- large hammer -The gas you used ?? Take that money and buy some silver. penny wise dollar foolish!!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I can see it now, I walk in my bank with that thing and they would call 911 thinking its a gun. My photo on the front page with me having my head banged against the police car.(I would resist).
That's why you need to wear nice clothes like a suit, and a bluetooth piece, so they really know not to mess with you. I said it once, and I'll say it again, you got to be clean-shaven too. When I bring it in, I have a laptop bag in which it fits nicely, plus one of the nozels is really thin and its good for getting coins behind the machine. Whole reason I bought it, was to get coins from under/behind machines, so far, I've been making about $8 a week with it with the clad I find, by the end of the year, its going to pay for itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread