Halves are dry around here: cutting down on box orders, stepping up my CWR runs

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Friday, and I have searched 6 boxes this week which were all skunks. I have no silver finds thus far, and have had horrible luck in the previous few weeks; with less and less to show each week. Like others on here, I am having one very cold, dry skunks streak. I am going to give up city half dollar box searches for a few months, and cut down on my boxes in the burbs too; focusing mostly on CWRs and teller trays.

I will still search dime boxes here in the city on my lunch breaks, and ask for CWRs and teller tray halves, but it is really getting bad around here in the NYC area, folks. I am hoping the cold weather has something to do with the lack of finds in these boxes, but I see more and more competition around, plus more interest in silver in the media. I don't entirely think there is culling going on, but I don't think that notion is entirely out of the question either.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near Washington, District of Crudola, it's scarce too. What happened?

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
self-fufilling prophecy. search CWRs more, boxes are worse. HH

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weaselbrott said:
It is Friday, and I have searched 6 boxes this week which were all skunks. I have no silver finds thus far, and have had horrible luck in the previous few weeks; with less and less to show each week. Like others on here, I am having one very cold, dry skunks streak. I am going to give up city half dollar box searches for a few months, and cut down on my boxes in the burbs too; focusing mostly on CWRs and teller trays.

I will still search dime boxes here in the city on my lunch breaks, and ask for CWRs and teller tray halves, but it is really getting bad around here in the NYC area, folks. I am hoping the cold weather has something to do with the lack of finds in these boxes, but I see more and more competition around, plus more interest in silver in the media. I don't entirely think there is culling going on, but I don't think that notion is entirely out of the question either.

Don't forget that you are not very far from where some of this forum's high volume half hunters (the likes of timzim and a few others) are looking. You're right outside NYC and not far from NJ where these guys are at all. Halves and dimes are similar for skunk streaks in my opinion. You win and you lose. I'll have 4 or 5 skunks in a row and thinks its the end of the world and then boom... A box with 8 silver pops up and the next box after that has 2 in it. You'll be okay!!!

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS.

Where are you "seeing" this competition? I know there are other hunters in my area because I would be dumb to think there weren't. Closest I ever came to seeing a fellow hunter was a guy depositing a check and asking for halves and $2 bills.

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS.

Where are you "seeing" this competition? I know there are other hunters in my area because I would be dumb to think there weren't. Closest I ever came to seeing a fellow hunter was a guy depositing a check and asking for halves and $2 bills.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dude, yeah I will pick up the city boxes again when it is warm out. It is just a big hassel to go box after box of skunk. I have gotten plenty of tim's sprayed coins, and plenty of lombardo coins too, but I have run in to about 6 hunters in person in the past few weeks. One dude I see on the regular. A few times, ran into the competition at several different pick up branches, and a few others at the dump banks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread