Dollar Coins

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look for 40%s and peace and morgan dollars as well as 1 oz rounds. Some have put on E bay for a small profit.I spend mine and have to tell 90% of the people what they are. lol,
Good luck

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
look for 40%s and peace and morgan dollars as well as 1 oz rounds. Some have put on E bay for a small profit.I spend mine and have to tell 90% of the people what they are. lol,
Good luck

Cooper, I believe you are confusing the current $1 coin, with ikes. Banks ALWAYs want people to take dollar coins.

As for the question, if you are not getting very far with halves or any other coinage, I advise you take this advice. IF you aren't getting along well with cents, nickels, dimes, quarters or halves, only then I suggest you look for the following. There are good $1 coins to be found, in rolls save all 1999 SBA dollars, they are rarer than most other years, and if you find any, save the widerim 1979-P SBA dollars. You can get anywhere from $5-15 for one on eBay. I've had best luck going to older banks, where they had solid rolls of SBAs, found 3 wide-rim SBA's out of searching roughly $2000 or so in dollar coins so far. Only do dollar coins if your local bank has a coin counter that will take them, banks always count CWR of $1 coins

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If they have a small amount, take them, so that you can build relationships. The tellers will be very happy you got rid of their coins, making them potentially save other coins for you. For the Presidentials, look for errors, like no edge lettering, which command great value.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
If they have a small amount, take them, so that you can build relationships. The tellers will be very happy you got rid of their coins, making them potentially save other coins for you. For the Presidentials, look for errors, like no edge lettering, which command great value.

Or, one of the 2099, I've seen posted on this site before.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cooper, I believe you are confusing the current $1 coin, with ikes. Banks ALWAYs want people to take dollar coins.

As for the question, if you are not getting very far with halves or any other coinage, I advise you take this advice. IF you aren't getting along well with cents, nickels, dimes, quarters or halves, only then I suggest you look for the following. There are good $1 coins to be found, in rolls save all 1999 SBA dollars, they are rarer than most other years, and if you find any, save the widerim 1979-P SBA dollars. You can get anywhere from $5-15 for one on eBay. I've had best luck going to older banks, where they had solid rolls of SBAs, found 3 wide-rim SBA's out of searching roughly $2000 or so in dollar coins so far. Only do dollar coins if your local bank has a coin counter that will take them, banks always count CWR of $1 coins
I have bought over $200.00 in "big dollar coins" in the last week( no silver).

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also recommend taking them off of their hands.. I have built great relationships doing this.. Even when I know I am about to purchase a large sum of repacks I will always take them.. Also you can always just ask if they are the "big" or "large" dollar coins instead of the new ones.. I scored a peace dollar doing this once..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions