$100 in Halves and a question..

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$20 in loose, and 8 of these rolls
I got these 3 40%ers, I'm pretty happy with the outcome but i have a question.
2 of the keepers where from the loose and one was from the rolls.
Are these rolls the dreaded "rerolls" or rolls i should avoid?
half dollar 2.jpg
half dollar 1.jpg
half dollar.jpg

Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares? If it is $100 or less... buy them even if you think they are dumps.

OP
OP
G

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would i buy dumps?
And i'm asking because I have the opportunity to pick up $2000 of those yellow rolls next week

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look legit. Buy them all. You may hit a nice score. Most people have to order halves to get that many.

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns Blazing said:
Do i want to stay away from boxes?

I'm wondering this too. I picked up loose ones the other day and scored a 40%er. I haven't been able to find any rolls unless I order them. Also, what do you guys do with the duds? I don't want to annoy the tellers, they've been pretty cool, and I don't really wanna have to a spend few hundred in half dollars.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering this too. I picked up loose ones the other day and scored a 40%er. I haven't been able to find any rolls unless I order them. Also, what do you guys do with the duds? I don't want to annoy the tellers, they've been pretty cool, and I don't really wanna have to a spend few hundred in half dollars.

First of all read the beginner's guide at the top. Second, don't take them back to the same bank. Third, no one can magically tell anyone whether to order boxes or not. Every area is different and if we knew what is in the boxes without looking we would all be rich.
HH
enamel7

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Guns, like you, I've had better luck with loose rolls that tellers just had in their drawers or in the vault. $2,000 is a lot of money to put toward boxes, but the boxes around here have been brutal lately. When I do pick up a box, i've been averaging about .3 keepers per box. Sometimes you find more...other times it's just skunks, which suck. You will never really know until you try (and if you've got that much cash to "play" with, then more power to ya). But I've had much better luck with boxes of dimes vs. boxes of halves...plus, they're cheaper. I would keep trying to get the loose rolls (because they still seem to produce), and only get a box if you can't find enough loose rolls. And yes, like enamel said, never dump your loose coins where you bought them. Always take them to a different place. Good luck.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do i want to stay away from boxes?
You could buy one box, if it turns out to be someones rewraps or something you can dump it somewhere else. If not and you find anything, go buy the rest, just a thought.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should I buy boxes or just stick to solid CWR's of silver? :dontknow::icon_scratch:

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$20 in loose, and 8 of these rolls
I got these 3 40%ers, I'm pretty happy with the outcome but i have a question.
2 of the keepers where from the loose and one was from the rolls.
Are these rolls the dreaded "rerolls" or rolls i should avoid?
View attachment 734298
View attachment 734299
View attachment 734300

The way I think about, is to just search everything. The only way to be sure you wont find any silver is to not search. Keep looking and don't get discouraged. Whoever re-rolled them might have missed something or be looking for something different than you. Everybody gets skunked, everybody goes through dry spells. The best thing to do is keep on hunting.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The way I think about, is to just search everything. The only way to be sure you wont find any silver is to not search. Keep looking and don't get discouraged. Whoever re-rolled them might have missed something or be looking for something different than you. Everybody gets skunked, everybody goes through dry spells. The best thing to do is keep on hunting.

Also buy dumps, so that you can get rid of the "pesky halves" the tellers have. They may be happy that you took them, and they may be more accommodating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread