Best Bag of Nickels in a While (and a Question)

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting bag and boxes for almost a year now (the bags seem to produce many more keepers). The last bag I had I got skunked but this bag made up for it for sure. Five war nickels and two buffalo nickels.

Buffaloes:
1 - No Date
1 - 1928

War Nickels:
1 - 1942-P
1 - 1943-P
1 - 1944-P
2 - 1945-P

Do you have better luck with bags, boxes, or CWR?

Obverse.jpg Reverse.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can't even find a bank in my area that will sell me a bag. i like cwrs best, though. great finds!

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only done boxes. Had equal luck in both MWR and CWR.

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
I prefer Machine wrapped myself. I also like customer rolls but find quiet a few are short. I have never did a bag but would like to some day. Nickels are my favorite but they are not for everyone. Good Luck

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
CWR's by far. Of course not everyone thinks a full roll of 1949's is the cat's pajamas but I thought it was pretty cool. Along with the rolls of "39's and "41's, and....

That honeypot is now gone, though. The bank closed last week (issues with the lease) and I haven't a clue where the dumper will be doing their deed now.

Aside from flukes like that it seems to matter not - as someone pointed out in another thread the war nickels probably get by because they tarnish more than regular nickels and people don't bother to give them a second glance.

Rascal

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banks around me don't do bags...they only accept rolled coins.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
what's the question?

Here it is:

Do you have better luck with bags, boxes, or CWR?

My input: I have more luck with boxes, but I never searched a nickel bag. Last time I picked up CWR, it was in very old light blue wrappers that got me excited. It turns out, most of them were late 1990s toned coins (latest coin in roll was 1999). I did get some older full step-ish nickels. The biggest letdown was that I kept seeing high relief nickels, and they were all 1964s, which was the oldest date in the rolls. In $10, there are usually like 5-6 pre-1960 nickels, but in the CWR, there were none. Last time I visited this branch, they sold me $20 in nickels (all they could give up). They were all Dunbar, and I got 3 war nickels. Too bad I couldn't get the full box. They are switching to Loomis soon I think, so that isn't good, as Dunbar is not very prevalent here.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread