State Credit Union Changed Coin Dump Machines

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The NC state credit union has those nice machines that you can dump all your coins in and get cash from the teller. When I dropped by Friday to dump some of the pennies I had gone through from a box I got from my local WF branch I noticed they had added a card scanner to the front of the machine. When I asked the teller about it (she is a cure Vietnamese gal..hubba hubba) she told me that they had too many nonmembers that would come in and use the machines just to get the cash back so they put in the card readers so only members of the CU can use the machines now. The CU issues member ID cards that you run through the machine at the window like most banks have that will pull up your accounts on the computer. Score one for the abusers of the machines but since I am a member of the CU I can at least still use the machines.

Upvote 0

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The NC state credit union has those nice machines that you can dump all your coins in and get cash from the teller. When I dropped by Friday to dump some of the pennies I had gone through from a box I got from my local WF branch I noticed they had added a card scanner to the front of the machine. When I asked the teller about it (she is a cure Vietnamese gal..hubba hubba) she told me that they had too many nonmembers that would come in and use the machines just to get the cash back so they put in the card readers so only members of the CU can use the machines now. The CU issues member ID cards that you run through the machine at the window like most banks have that will pull up your accounts on the computer. Score one for the abusers of the machines but since I am a member of the CU I can at least still use the machines.

Another way to keep track. They will tax you on it next.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i remember 3-4 years ago, most banks with coin machines had their machines free for anybody to use... since then, only 1 of the 3 banks I deal with that has a coin machine is free for anybody... the other machines charge 7-8%... This goes to show that the banks are catching onto us "coin machine users" and are starting to charge fees. Plus a CU is harder to get into than a normal bank due to membership requirements.
hh

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i remember 3-4 years ago, most banks with coin machines had their machines free for anybody to use... since then, only 1 of the 3 banks I deal with that has a coin machine is free for anybody... the other machines charge 7-8%... This goes to show that the banks are catching onto us "coin machine users" and are starting to charge fees. Plus a CU is harder to get into than a normal bank due to membership requirements.
hh
Errrrrrr, where is that "unlike" button thing?
I like your post Buff, but I just hate that everything you said is true.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very straightforward with my responses, i don't lie or try to "bend the truth", a lot has changed in the last few years... i went on a little road trip mainly to ask if banks would order half dollars for me, all of which i have accounts with... 2 out of 5 told me no, the other 2 imposed a $7.50 fee on me and only one was willing to order me 1 box complimentary but will charge $5 for each box after the initial box. I won't pay for my money, especially since I wouldn't even come close to breaking even with my silver finds.
Errrrrrr, where is that "unlike" button thing?
I like your post Buff, but I just hate that everything you said is true.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very straightforward with my responses, i don't lie or try to "bend the truth", a lot has changed in the last few years... i went on a little road trip mainly to ask if banks would order half dollars for me, all of which i have accounts with... 2 out of 5 told me no, the other 2 imposed a $7.50 fee on me and only one was willing to order me 1 box complimentary but will charge $5 for each box after the initial box. I won't pay for my money, especially since I wouldn't even come close to breaking even with my silver finds.
Oh don't take me wrong BB, I never question your posts, just expressing my dislike for what is happining, like what you said, I'm seeing more of it all the time. It's a one way street, once they start chargeing fees, etc... it never goes back.
GL+HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They aren't charging a fee for running the coins through the machine and they know how much you cash whether you have to use your card or not because it prints out a slip you take to the teller showing how much in cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves and modern dollars you ran through the machine and your total. I am not worried about any kind of tax as I don't think that will happen. And the slip also says that you have to cash it in the same day you ran the coins or it's no good so it's always straight to the teller from the machine to get my money.

As to the requirements, there are some CUs that don't have restrictions on joining....you just got to find them. Some military ones you can join if you are ex-military, etc. Worth checking into. I just have my paycheck go in there every month, pay some of my bills from it and pull the rest out to put in my other bank.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank charges non-members 15% to use their coin counter...pretty steep! I think I might have broke it on Saturday after dumping though. I found out today after seeing the "Out of Order" sign on the machine that they have a "Commercial Coin Counter" elsewhere that I should have been using. Apparently, the tray feed model is just for people with small jars...whoops :laughing7:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank charges non-members 15% to use their coin counter...pretty steep! I think I might have broke it on Saturday after dumping though. I found out today after seeing the "Out of Order" sign on the machine that they have a "Commercial Coin Counter" elsewhere that I should have been using. Apparently, the tray feed model is just for people with small jars...whoops :laughing7:
Break them all the time to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread