Starting a Tribe (and questions about yours)

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
Hi everyone long time no post,

The kids are finally getting old enough to enjoy this great hobby. This means that the wife has given me a little bit of rope to start CRHing again as long as I don't make it my only priority in life. Because of that issue I started back searching primarily pennies. I don't want to catch silver fever again and my daughter gets the chance to help me. There are always wheats in every box. Skunks would be very boring for a kid and it is easy to differentiate between wheats and memorials.

Last night I was ecstatic to find my 2nd Indian Head Penny of the year!
:headbang: It is a 1909, I crossed my fingers before I flipped it over, but that was not enough to make an S appear on it. :BangHead:

All I can say is that luck must have allot to do with it. I have only searched 11 boxes this year so far.

I would like to hear on average how much in FV do each of you search per Indian Head cent discovered? Thanks for your replies.

HH,
Bank Runner

Attachments

• 1909 Indian Head Cent 5 Feb 13.jpg
    1909 Indian Head Cent 5 Feb 13.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say I've probably done about the same as wicka, no indian heads. Did you see that post a few weeks ago where the guy found a huge handful of 'em in CWRs?

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did four boxes a week for about a year and then two boxes a week for the last six months. I have found four IHs. I'll let you do the math.:cat:

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never found a 1909 Indian Head. Plenty of 1909 Lincolns though.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have searched around 25 boxes lifetime and never found an Indian in any of those boxes. Thats not surprising though as cent boxes in my area do not produce much of anything (3-4 wheats per box average. Best box had only 8). However, while searching my mother's house for something else, I came across a roll of cents that was apparently rolled in ~1983. There was an Indian in that roll.

bobert

Apr 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get one IHC every $480.23 searched.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very big Congrats! And, very nice that the kids are involved! I have only found 2 in the wild since I began the "hunt." You are doing very well and continue this as a family hobby!

apush

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
In 2011 I did about 100 to 125 boxes and found 9 Indian Heads, this year I was at 1 until I got a box of handwraps and got 97 Indian Heads and 1 flying eagle. See my earlier post on this.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
1 IH for every $100 in FV

Of course this is rather skewed because I've had a box with 5 in one, and a bag with about 7 or 8 (along with $10 face in wheats)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread