Geniuses that educate tellers....

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
Well,
this has been going on for a while, but today was the last straw. I used to have 4-6 banks that constantly produced AG. Today, they are all gone. Know why? Because all of them said someone came in and asked for halves and then proceded to "educate" the teller(s) or vault teller. Now when I ask, I always hear them say they have none and that they save them and take them home. Wow!
I used to be able to walk in almost any bank around here and ask and receive good results. Now, there is almost nothing. So for all those people that say educating the tellers is smart, you will not have those producers for long.....I assure you. People listen and act. So, do what you like, but I guarantee you will eventually lose your "producers" if you educate your tellers.

Upvote 0

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you really think that people are so stupid that they won't figure out what your doing when you regularly pick up thousands worth of coins? So what do you think are the odds of every employee at those banks not knowing about silver coins? Ever noticed what tellers do when they don't have a client to take care of? They yip and yap to each other about any silly thing and you don't think they ask each other what these people are doing with all of these coins? Give your head a shake please.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you really think that people are so stupid that they won't figure out what your doing when you regularly pick up thousands worth of coins? So what do you think are the odds of every employee at those banks not knowing about silver coins? Ever noticed what tellers do when they don't have a client to take care of? They yip and yap to each other about any silly thing and you don't think they ask each other what these people are doing with all of these coins? Give your head a shake please.
I use halves to play poker.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use halves to play poker.

What does using halves in an illegal activity have to do with what I said? Not trying to be an arse or anything, I just don't understand what your getting at.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does using halves in an illegal activity have to do with what I said? Not trying to be an arse or anything, I just don't understand what your getting at.
That's what I tell the banks when picking-up or dumping. About half of them believe it, the other half, not.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I just came back from the bank and i had to spend 15 minutes with a teller explaining to her that i wanted cwr dimes not the paper rolls themselves -_- But its stupid tellers like them that cant distinguish silver and give it to us so?

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Backbacon said:

I had a vault teller "educate" me on the silver coins in my 4th week of ordering boxes. I played dumb and the following week she let me up my order to 10 boxes a week. 12 arrived, so she let me keep the weekly order at 12 boxes. She felt like she was helping me and my family, so that conversation worked to my advantage. Unfortunately that doesn't help teller tray finds.

And I never bring up Ag in conversation. Only proofs and once in a while Commemoratives. If the tellers bring up Ag - just play dumb. That may be hard for some of us but it's for the best.

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few of my banks the young girls asked what the heck I wanted to do with the coins, I spill the beans i tell them what to look for and how to do it I won't lie to them.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When asked I just say I am looking for old coins, but when the tellers ask "are you looking for silver," and more than half do, I fess up. I will usually tell them it gives me something to do while I'm sitting around the house, that my wife thinks I'm crazy, and that most of the time I don't find anything. All of those things are true. If they ask if I have found anything lately, I'm (mostly) honest, I will tell them I found 2-3 dimes in the last box, but always remind them that I didnt find anything in the previous 2 boxes - and if you average it out its 1-2 dimes per box. That breaks down to a $4 profit but you factor in all the other things you arent even breaking even!

I don't see the need for cloak and dagger, if you are friendly with the tellers and give back (a free pizza buys alot of good will!), they will hand the silver over to you even if they know its worth more than face!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread