where the buffalos roam.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
25 boxes = a dozen of buffaloes. They used to roam all over, but, you see, there are buffalo nickel hunters, who hunted them all to almost extinction. They are out there roaming the great nickel plains, hope you are able to hunt 10 more down.

S

stefen

Its almost easier to buy bufs outright on Ebay, Craigslist or a coin store...

capitalfun8

Dec 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There definitely thinning out in my area I would find like 1 every 2 boxes sometimes even more. This year i have found 2 in about 20 boxes

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find 1 Buffalo every 108 rolls on average so it will take you 21.6 boxes to find 10 more or 25.92 to find a dozen more. Good luck and HH.

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
I find them maybe 1 every 10 boxes if I'm luck. Have better luck finding war nicks at 1 per box average.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
i havent found a buffalo yet and ivee searched 4 boxes of nicks but i found 6 war nickels

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have found 1 every box and 1.5 war every box although I only searched two boxes lol

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
In the past 15 boxes of nickels I have found 12 buffalos, In the beginning I have found 3-4 per box but now I am finding 1 per every 3-4 boxes. I asked at my LCS how much they were buying buffs for and they told me that dateless ones they buy for 6 cents apiece, any buffs dated in the 30's they are buying at 7-8 cents apiece and they would pay more for 1920's buffs. Not dissing this store but as I was walking out, I saw a box of buffs on the counter. they were selling dated buffs for 1.50 apiece. eessshh! I rather keep them for myself till I get a good amount then sell to provident metals.

Sincerely,
Garoulady

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not saying your averages are wrong, they are completely right, but generally an average is over a span of many, many boxes. please let us know what you average in 10 boxes of nickels, i;d love to hear!!! I am averaging 1 war nickel every 2 nickel boxes and a buffalo nickel every 1.5 boxes
hh
So far I have found 1 every box and 1.5 war every box although I only searched two boxes lol

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hellzpriest said:
Ive still yet to find a buff... Been through about 15 boxes now. :( but im still hunting for them!

Should be in one of your next boxes. I average one per 2 boxes. You're due!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread