154.4 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no expert. But I think it is not. In the 2nd picture it looks like it is, but in the first picture, you can see uneven wear at an angle. It should be just straight cut (I think) I looked at some examples and didn't see anything like that.
Reminder: I AM NO EXPERT. I HOPE IT IS. WORTH MILLIONS. :D
Wicka

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Yes, it is not a straight cut so if a clip must be perfectly straight then no go on the clip.

MU

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe a clip should be curved. The edge of another penny should fit into the clip. This does not look like a clip to me.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
There are both straight edged and curved clips. If the sheet is not properly progressed after a set of blacks are punched out, you will get a clipped planchet. If the sheet does not progress enough, then you will get a curved planchet where another penny should fit into the blanked out area. If the roll goes off center and the blank is punched off of the side of the roll, you will get a straight edged clip. I believe that this is a Mint Made Error. Most Clips that are made outside the mint will be made by metal cutters or sheers. They will leave a tell tail mark in the Clipped area. That will leave a pinching of the metal or rough edge inside the clip. This clip is perfectly smoothed inside the clip. That shows the polishing the blanks go through after they are stamped out. The weakness near the clip shows how the metal flowed during stamping. Normally, a blank is held in place by a collar the completely surrounds the coin. Dimes and higher have reeding on the collar, which give them their distinct rough edge. Because the blank was clipped, the collar did not hold the coin in place properly and the metal smooshed out, and into the clip (like when you smoosh down on an Ice Cream Sandwich that is nice and soft. Nothing holds the ice cream under the cookie part, so it smooshes out). Anyhow, this has all of the hallmarks or a real Mint Made Error. Now, considering it is about a 3% clip (only about 3% of the blank was missing), It is not OVERLY rare or OVERLY valuable. My guess is between $5 and $20 depending...

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i say it is a clipped planchet even if it is not keep it as it is only 1 cent..

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
dejapooh said:
There are both straight edged and curved clips. If the sheet is not properly progressed after a set of blacks are punched out, you will get a clipped planchet. If the sheet does not progress enough, then you will get a curved planchet where another penny should fit into the blanked out area. If the roll goes off center and the blank is punched off of the side of the roll, you will get a straight edged clip. I believe that this is a Mint Made Error. Most Clips that are made outside the mint will be made by metal cutters or sheers. They will leave a tell tail mark in the Clipped area. That will leave a pinching of the metal or rough edge inside the clip. This clip is perfectly smoothed inside the clip. That shows the polishing the blanks go through after they are stamped out. The weakness near the clip shows how the metal flowed during stamping. Normally, a blank is held in place by a collar the completely surrounds the coin. Dimes and higher have reeding on the collar, which give them their distinct rough edge. Because the blank was clipped, the collar did not hold the coin in place properly and the metal smooshed out, and into the clip (like when you smoosh down on an Ice Cream Sandwich that is nice and soft. Nothing holds the ice cream under the cookie part, so it smooshes out). Anyhow, this has all of the hallmarks or a real Mint Made Error. Now, considering it is about a 3% clip (only about 3% of the blank was missing), It is not OVERLY rare or OVERLY valuable. My guess is between $5 and $20 depending...

Wow, thanks for the information. You clearly know a lot about this!!

Best to you

MU

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that looks like the pennies that i find at school, and then cut to pieces when im bored, geez if ou coinage is made of metal so flimsy, scissors can cut it, then there is somethign wrong. Looks like a guy with wire clippers just cut it, but the thing is that the clipped portion is copper colored, so it must have been clipped before the plating process...

EDIT: didint notice that it was a pre 82 penny :P

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread