Slow CRH.. Recomendations for buying 90% bags?

Nomatic00

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My CRH is going really slow. 4 dimes out of 6 boxes and 1 40% half out of 5 boxes.. I have no plans on giving up but i have some extra funds sitting in a savings account that i wouldn't mind putting into silver. So, I was thinking of buying a bag or two of junk silver. I have been looking online at several sites. Can you guys recommend any of them? I havent seen any bags for spot pricing. What is a fair % over spot to pay? Do any of you guys ever sell any of your finds?(can I ask that in here?) all opinions are welcome! Thanks for any input. HH

Upvote 0

x512x

Nov 30, 2012
First have you searched your local Craigslist? You sometimes find good deals in there. Or put a add in your local paper. That's How I find my junk silver most of the time I get it for under spot. Went to my local pawn last week and got 3 90% half dollars for 10$ each. Look around before you buy from companies

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree shop around. In my area people post ads on Craigslist saying buying all silver coins at 20 times face value or what ever number they think is fair. Seems like a good route if you have money to invest in junk silver. Good luck happy hunting

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't stack enough roll hunting myself, a couple dimes here, a couple halves there just doesn't cut the mustard, I need to stack pounds...I've been using Provident Metals, right now their junk 90% bags run about $1 an oz over spot. I've never found a good buy deal on Clist, but like others have mentioned you may be able to buy in quantities for less than spot. Check your local dealer also, mine sometimes sells below spot, but he likes to move the silver as it comes in, and he does.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Take your money and invest it in Estate Buying company. I've done this very thing about 2 years ago. In addition to my return on my investment, I also get choice of anything that come in bought at the Buy cost.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are holding silver in your area, right now, and they want to dump it. They are willing to take a buck or two under spot.

You just need to find these people.

Passive ads in CL, or the paper never hurt.

OP
OP
Nomatic00

Nomatic00

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure that I have enough money to invest in an estate buying business but it is an interesting idea, worth looking into.. Not sure why i didn't think of running an ad on craigslist myself but I have one on there now :) I looked at Provident they are running $1.75 over spot for $500 or $1000 face value bags which seems as fair as anything else I have seen but I didn't see any bags smaller than $500 FV and I was thinking more along the lines of (2) $100 FV

In the mean time I have 4 boxes of halves, 4 boxes of dimes and 4 boxes of nickels coming this week maybe i'll hit the mother load!

Thanks for the ideas everyone! If anyone has any more thoughts feel free to chime in :)

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to your local coin, bullion or cash 4 gold shop if you want to find cheap deals on bulk silver.

If you are buying in bulk (~$100 FV and up) they will often be accommodating on the price.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think JUNK SILVER is right get as many oz as you can. Shop around and try to stick with us coins. Silver is down yet, Hey good luck!

OP
OP
Nomatic00

Nomatic00

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advise everyone.. I already got a nibble on Craigslist. Now if the guy doesn't try to scam/rob me it'll be a good start.

x512x

Nov 30, 2012
Thanks for the advise everyone.. I already got a nibble on Craigslist. Now if the guy doesn't try to scam/rob me it'll be a good start.

Fun thing to do man is buy gold jewelry off Craigslist u get amazing deals u need to invest in a acid kit haha

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I know you said that you wanted junk silver coins but when I have bought the best thing was 10 oz bars from a good company still in their wrappers. They usually cost 1 dollar per oz over spot and when you sell them you get spot. I have found that they are the easiest silver to sell when I have needed to sell some and the prices offered aren't all over the board like they are for 90% silver coins. I also can't see spending money on something that I am getting for free already, plus I like having a little of everything.

OP
OP
Nomatic00

Nomatic00

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I was already thinking of meeting at the bank with lots of cameras. That would make someone think twice about trying something shady..

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Take your money and invest it in Estate Buying company. I've done this very thing about 2 years ago. In addition to my return on my investment, I also get choice of anything that come in bought at the Buy cost.

What is Estate Buying Company? They are not on Google...

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he meant an estate buying company generically. There is probably an company formed in your area that buys estates lock, stock and barrel then holds an auction or resales the items for a profit. Interesting idea in that you eliminate competition at estate sells.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The company is a division of Great Expectations Auction company. They have a separate business in a separate plaza where they buy estate holdings. Antique furniture, gold, jewelry, coins, everything under the sun. Select items will be sent to the auction company. Others will be offered for sale directly to the consumer public. The second business is Estate Liquidators of St. Augustine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread