If a bank teller asks why are you buying so many halves, what do you say?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly will not say I am looking for silver.

I own a small company that makes souvenirs out of coins but I don't want to say that unless I get backed into a corner. Afraid they might want to charge me for all the coins because it is for my business.

Upvote 0

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tell them I am looking to fill holes in my collection, which is the truth. I tell them I keep one of every date and mintmark, and Kennedy halves are about the only coins left where a complete collection can be retrieved from circulation.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually i do it the other way around i say i collect coins and i am looking for the old ones. now they start looking for the silvers for me.
but i guesse being 14 years old helps to.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also just tell them I collect coins and am looking for the old ones to fill a collection, if they ask. When its halves they usually just ask that I don't bring them back to that bank, which is fine by me since there are lots of banks around and the ones I usually cash in at have the self service coin machine, so not many questions asked bringing them back.

I have had tellers save a few coins for me as well. Though to date I only have gotten a few indian head pennies, wheat pennies, and a dateless buffalo nickel, no silver. But hey, its still better than nothing especially when only paying face value for them. I almost got about 100 pre-1940 wheat pennies, but the teller didn't save them quite long enough. Someone else bought them about 30 minutes before I got there.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Say that half dollars make good poker chips.

Today I was buying some loose halves from a teller and as she was counting them she was looking at the dates. I was thinking oop, that can't be good. I said, you must be a coin collecter too huh? She said yes, and that they were made of silver up to 1963. I knew she was yanking my chain, but played dumb.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain ringding. I went to a bank I don't normally go to as it was next door to the MD shop I frequent last week and asked for any halves. The teller said she was saving what they had for another customer but if he did not pick them up I could have them the next day. He did not pick them up so I went to get them the next day and she asked if I would like the loose ones also and I said sure. I saw a 40% but my heart sank when I saw her look at the edges. I still ended up getting it though as it looks like she was looking for the bright silver edge of a 90% coin and missed the 40%. I wont be back there though as it looks like I would have competition from the teller. I got 6 rolls but there was nothing in there. You never know. HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piss off clerk ;D

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually telling them i collect the silvers helped me yesterday also. beside getting another silver dime from the guy at the store that now saved them for me. when i went to the bank to order my first box of half dollars, i asked the guy and he had to ask his boss. and he wasn't gonna do it until he told his boss i collect coins then he said it was OK.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
tell them you are paying off terrorists and they won't accept u.s. bills as payment as they are just paper.....g

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
I always go in fake talking on my cell so the clerks don't bug me. If I'm ordering boxes from a bank I try to achieve a first name basis with the branch manager. A clerk won't bother you if they think your friends with the boss. As for the manager I tell them a "half" truth, I'm in the vending business and I need the halves to operate. So far this has all worked out.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"None of your business, now, why is taking so long to make my change?"

It really isn't any of your business what you do with the hales and they have no business asking you. They may just want to know if you are hunting silver. Tell them nothing.

Laater...

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I'm starting a collection for the grandkids. This usually gets them on my side. Seems to work better with female tellers. I never mention silver. I do tell them that I'm especially interested in OLDER coins.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Occasionally, I tell them my son is coin collector and I am getting the coins for my son to look through as a reason. Which is typically a half truth since although it is true that he helps me look through them sometimes, I usually keep the bulk of what is found (especially in the half dollars).

diverwannabe

Apr 1, 2006
Poulsbo, WA
Since I have been home I have been using my 12 yr old sister to do my dirty work for me LOL. The tellers just assume she is starting a coin collection not to mention they won't say no to a little kid! Unless ofcourse there are no halves :P

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I've always been up front with them and tell them I'm looking for silver. One of two things happens, either they say "Hey whadaya know...I do too!" Or they get this glazed over look in their eyes like I've just said the most boring thing on earth, after all EVERYONE knows all the silver is gone from circulation, right? ;)

I've left my name and number at a few branches and got calls when Halves came in, but no teller has offered to sell me the halves they pulled yet... and believe me, they pull a lot!

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
I say that I just retired and I started collecting coins for something to do, that I'm looking for certain dates.
I hit five banks yesterday, only have an account at one, really got no questions, only smiles and how many do you want?
Searched about $80 worth ($40 hand rolled) and all I found was one 2004D (St. Helens, OR)

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
Every bank I go to in my area (5) they tell me they dont have any ,they dont order them.I ask if theres any in the vault,they say no.I'm very upset,I just got into this and apparantly banks by me dont carry them by the case.I guess I have to stick to nickels.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Your regular bank can order them for you. Mine doesn't even charge me. I have a box come in every week now, regular as clockwork. Helps to establish a friendly relationship with the vault teller and/or manager first.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a BOA nearby and an account they should order them for you. Yesterday the one I go to said thank you and they are more than happy to order anything I want. I took my halves to another bank after searching them and the teller said I must have been saving them for a long time. I told her yes (5hrs lol).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions