Recycle, Reuse, CRH way

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking the other day and had a wicked idea. I have cats. I have 4 cats which means a lot of kitty litter. I like to get the plastic jugs that aren't see-though. Favorite brand is the new fresh and light brand. 25% lighter and I don't blow my shoulders out carrying the jugs around. Well I had a lot of these jugs around and true to my redneck recycler lifestyle I use them from everything from tomato plant holders to waterers for my fruit trees. That's easy. Poke some holes in the bottom, set it by a tree with some rocks inside to hold it in place, fill it up from the top and it slowly waters the tree over time, giving the tree time to soak all that goodness up. Great for keeping water in too for when the electricity goes out. at least I have water to flush the toilet with. LOL.

Well I was thinking about containers for my bulk coins, mainly my growing copper hoard. and a lightbulb went off. Why not use the kitty litter jugs for holding coins. Granted they are flimsy but I filled one jug with coins and set it down by the kitty litter pans. No one would know that it is anything other than another jug of litter. If I ever get enough to melt down (just the canadian pennies, btw) I have a handcart that I can use to load them up to the back of my mom's truck. I figure if I got the lead out, I could save nickels for their nickel content. And if I ever had to get at the coins, a quick swip of a box cutter off the top and I am set.

Hope this stirs the mind juices,
Garoulady

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the idea! :-) When someone robs your house, who's going to think Cat Litter is $1,000,000 in coins! (YES GAROU! 1 MILLION DOLLARS)
I hope this idea works for you!
Wickaboag

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to get annoyed at your posts, then I realized the great beauty and intelligence in their simplicity. Now they are some of my favorite posts to read. Seriously and no sarcasm what-so-ever. They are awesome! I mean, "got the lead out" is brilliant! I am still laughing. Don't ever go away. I mean this in all seriousness, you are awesome.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to get annoyed at your posts, then I realized the great beauty and intelligence in their simplicity. Now they are some of my favorite posts to read. Seriously and no sarcasm what-so-ever. They are awesome! I mean, "got the lead out" is brilliant! I am still laughing. Don't ever go away. I mean this in all seriousness, you are awesome.

Sounds kind of rude......................................................
Wickaboag.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't meant as rude, and if it was taken as such, I apologize. I am sincere in saying I greatly enjoy her posts. I don't think that it is news to her and most people that paid attention, that her posts used to cause me great consternation. Now, I look forward to them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm like moss. I tend to grow on ya. LMAO!!

I used the kitty litter tree waterers couple of years ago. Had a bumper crop of peaches and apples, of which we still have quarts of pickled spiced peaches and homemade applesauce (yummy!), especially since last year was one big skunk-aroo for fruit crops. And the coins, I did nickels in one. I put 400 dollars worth and it didn't even fill the whole normal container. So if you start saving coinage, you can hide a good amount of change.

And worse comes to worse if someone reads this and tries to take my jugs, depending on which ones they take, all they'll get is either a jug of water or kitty litter. Hehehe,,

sincerely, Garoulady

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....Great for keeping water in too for when the electricity goes out. at least I have water to flush the toilet with........

When you lose power you can not flush your toilet? :icon_scratch:

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you lose power you can not flush your toilet? :icon_scratch:
Not if you have a well house.. When the power goes out so does the water... Trust me the wife and I are always dealing with it in thunderstorm season..

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not if you have a well house.. When the power goes out so does the water... Trust me the wife and I are always dealing with it in thunderstorm season..

I don't even know what that is, but if that's her situation then it makes sense, thanks.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even know what that is, but if that's her situation then it makes sense, thanks.
Not a problem.. A well house is for a house that gets it's water from an underground well.. The pump for the water is electric so when the power goes out so does the water... This is only a problem for us who don't have city water... Trust me like I said in thunderstorm season it can be a real pain..

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like Henry Ford, I am trying to find a way to cut down my waste and increase profits. I currently have a nice hoard of rubber bands and slightly used coin roll wraps (the sturdy ones with 1 shotgun end)....any ideas what to do with these? I dont have a need to rewrap thats out.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
There is always a use for rubber bands. we have two containers on our table, one for rubber bands and the other for all the twistie ties we get when we buy groceries or get electronics. I use the stouter electric equipement twisties, like that wrap up lengths of electric cordage during the winter. we have crafty racooons and opussoms that like to steal the suet cakes right out of the holders. the little bread ties weren't strong enough so I used the stronger electric twisties and so far, no more suet cake thefts. as for the coin roll wrappers if you don't plan on using them for coins, you can donate them to a kids coin club. If they are really worn use them as small seed starter. Just put them in a coin box standing up, fill them with soil, plant a seed in each one, water and when spring is here you will have a headsup on mother nature's currency, plants!! canning veggies and fruit is in its own coin hunting and currency. And a whole lot tastier!!LOL

Sincerely,
Garoulady

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garoulady I commend you as well for your posts, I always love hearing about alternative uses for stuff that we usually consider junk. Starting seeds from a coin box with dirt filled rolls is an awesome idea! I'll post if I make one, which I'm planning on

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
A while back I ended up with 150,000 Olympic Lapel Pins. I got 150 kitty litter buckets from my Father in Law and filled them up with pins. Now, when I go to the Olympics, I just throw a bucket or two into my luggage and away we go!

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dejapooh said:
A while back I ended up with 150,000 Olympic Lapel Pins. I got 150 kitty litter buckets from my Father in Law and filled them up with pins. Now, when I go to the Olympics, I just throw a bucket or two into my luggage and away we go!

I don't understand.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they sell them!

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to drink a lot of Crown Royal. I would save the dimes in the bottles for some reason and sent the bags off to my mother who was going to make me a bedspread out of the bags. Quit drinking, ditched the bottles, cashed in the dimes, bought a sweet entertainment center, now if I only had a cozy blanket to wrap up in while enjoying a movie lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread