TV debut....oh great!

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I know there are many CRHs out there but our competition may increase.

Watching doomsday preppers and our hobby made a TV debut. The guy explained if you look through half dollars and get the silver ones you can cash them in. Just so happens he finds some and gives the silver value and face value. 6 or so coins with a value over 100.00.

What do you guys think of this?

Novapax

Upvote 0

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep just saw that

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont think it will be too much of a problem.

Not many watch the show.

Those that do, most are too busy preparing with ammo to be able to support a CRH fund as well.

Most Americans live pay check to pay check, they could not afford to CRH as it take self control.

After the first couple skunks, they would give up because they are losing money in gas and time that would be better spent buying top ramen to prepare for zombie robot ninjas.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that. Didn't help that he found 12 silvers in one roll.

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
LoL. I hear ya. Just think more publicity for the hobby isn't a great idea. Oh well.

Just so happens, I was searching my own rolls of halves. LoL

NP

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After the first couple skunks, they would give up because they are losing money in gas and time that would be better spent buying top ramen to prepare for zombie robot ninjas.

Oh lawdy, I almost had a heart attack. I misread that as zombie rabbit ninjas.... robots I can deal with, but rabbits.... (shudder)

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I can imagine it now "they's be some silvar in halves, it gonna be betta than nothing'' Really, if the monetary system collapsed silver would be worth NOTHING, think about it, silver had such a low value, and was so plentiful, that the US minted massive amounts of silver dimes, quarters, halves all the way up until 1964. Less people = less demand for it, much much greater supply, much lesser value. OF course, worth more than clad, but still, I doubt a silver coin, in a 'apocalyptic scenario', would not be worth the equivalent of $30 an ounce; MEANING silver now, is worth more than it would be worth in a 'post apocalyptic' world. You ever see them using Ag in "The Walking Dead" i dont think so.

Just wait till he finds a walker.......He'll risk becoming a zombie, or have to toss it back.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think MOST people will not try to find out how to crh. It takes time and money !! Most people don't have time or money.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think MOST people will not try to find out how to crh. It takes time and money !! Most people don't have time or money.
Well i found out that it does take time & money.................... But these doom day nuts have both.... you see the time they take to build these bunkers or buy them so they must have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... but to be honest these realty shows are screwing every thing up for every one......

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy is right. The people watching this show aren't your average viewers. They have cash and time. These aren't 20 somethings with 3 degrees crying about not having a job. These are the type of people that go out and get it done, and are successful. Saver types. Live below their means types.

50 cent, interesting perspective, even if I disagree. I guess the first few days after a civil collapse, it wouldn't be worth much..right then. I get it...you can't eat it and people aren't going to be using it to create electronics. But what you have to remember is silver and gold have been a means of currency for centuries. Not just in the US but worldwide. Even in this modern world, it's the only thing that can't be recreated or manufactured. It would be THE currency in a post collapse situation.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All that I know is if the "Werewolf apocalypse" comes We'll be able to make some silver bullets and the others will be totally screwed. When Werewolves come do you people think the US and Canada will lift the melt ban on silver coins?

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a 20 something with 3 degrees and i will continue crying about not having a job. Meanwhile ill be hoarding all them silvers. Pfftt.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I saw one episode where the prepper was recommending getting a good supply of Ikes because people like them and would trade for them. Probably half the people who watch the show are watching it so they can laugh at how weird the people are or at least what they are doing is. I think a lot of viewers will just dismiss CRH as more prepper wackiness. Besides all that gold or silver will make my bug-out pack too heavy and I don't want coins clinking around together inside of my spider-hole giving away my position. It's amazing how much some of those people have spent on their preparations, I don't think that many would be interested in building up silver nest eggs like most CRHers. Most seem to be interested in trying to have everything ready for the end to happen tomorrow at the latest, no matter what it costs them. I've been ready and waiting myself for over forty years now and if the end of the world doesn't happen real soon, I'm gona die of old age.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone with half a brain can figure out the coin roll hunting thing, without the help of television or internet. I was 14 when I figured it out, I'm 50 now.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
every bank in my area knows about silver... i don't mention silver to them, thet mention it to me... every teller knows 1964 and older coins are silver, some even know about 40%ers, i think it is common knowlege especiallt after all those silver ads in the newspaper, tv, internet, flyers, post cards in mail boxes, sheets under people's windshields in the parking lots, hell, i've even seen my coin dealer at the bank across the street from the coin shop buying half dollars... (no silver, i could tell) ... etc. when silver was skyrocketing back a few years.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You me the secret is no longer safe..Damn.. You figure with tv's, the internet and smart phones this hobby would have never been made public.. People have been doing this a long time.. Nothing is going to change just because some whacko on doomsday preppers is telling people what most of them already know silver is valuable...

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most seem to be interested in trying to have everything ready for the end to happen tomorrow at the latest, no matter what it costs them. I've been ready and waiting myself for over forty years now and if the end of the world doesn't happen real soon, I'm gona die of old age.

I am not a prepper, I am prepared. These scenarios have run through my mind, and also keep in mind that Hurricane Charley came right across the top of my house.

1) Major storm heading your way. - Cargo trailer with enough gas, water and food to keep my family alive until I can return to my home.

2) Terrorist attack. - Don't laugh it can happen, heck one of the pilots that trained to fly into the WTC, learned to fly less than 15 miles from house. If that is the case then
the cargo trailer gets loaded with everything and we are gone to the hills.

3) Major Power Outage. - Anyone remember a couple of years ago when the entire Eastern Seaboard lost power for a few days. Everything we need will be packed and we are gone including our generator.

Yes, I collect the three B's. Beans, Bulletts and Bullion.......

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can imagine it now "they's be some silvar in halves, it gonna be betta than nothing'' Really, if the monetary system collapsed silver would be worth NOTHING, think about it, silver had such a low value, and was so plentiful, that the US minted massive amounts of silver dimes, quarters, halves all the way up until 1964. Less people = less demand for it, much much greater supply, much lesser value. OF course, worth more than clad, but still, I doubt a silver coin, in a 'apocalyptic scenario', would not be worth the equivalent of $30 an ounce; MEANING silver now, is worth more than it would be worth in a 'post apocalyptic' world. You ever see them using Ag in "The Walking Dead" i dont think so.

Just wait till he finds a walker.......He'll risk becoming a zombie, or have to toss it back.

so the walker... has a walker?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread