Am I the only one?

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am actually unemployed at the moment, I have thought of trying that out. Does anyone know what most banks what on your resume?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought about it. Being able to do a little CRHing at work would be fun, but not struggling-to-pay-the bills-working-for-minimum-wage fun. But, if minimum wage was enough, it might be a fun job as far as jobs go. It would have to beat digging ditches or roofing in the dead of summer...to me anyway.

But honestly, how much CRHing would you get to do? At most, you'll open a couple of rolls of each denomination for your till daily. If some customer cashes in some CWRs, you might get first shot at them, but just how many will actually get cashed in? I'd bet that on most occasions I could find more in a day bank hopping than would get cashed in at any one particular bank in 2 weeks - 1 month.

I think this is one of those ideas that sounds like a good idea until you actually went through with it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A teller's job is a very hard, pressure ridden job. I have a couple friends who are tellers and in my area, they say they really don't see silver anymore. If it's in rolled coin, they don't see it, it just passes through to someone who wants rolls. Most of the coins they see come not from customers but from the Fed.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Most teller's jobs are soft.
And, we don't want the banks hiring dudes, eech.
My wife's been a teller for years and,
-the silver's just not passing thru like it used to-

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a hotline to call for CRW Anonymus. You need to get help. It is a disease.

Nomatic00

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just think, you might have to schlep box after box of halves for some deranged CRH from the vault and never get to open them! :BangHead:

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been offered a job at TD and a local bank that I order from.. The pay cut would just be too huge for me to ever take the position.. Though when a teller showed me 4 peace dollars she got yesterday, it had me second guessing my decision..

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
I have thought about it. Being able to do a little CRHing at work would be fun, but not struggling-to-pay-the bills-working-for-minimum-wage fun. But, if minimum wage was enough, it might be a fun job as far as jobs go. It would have to beat digging ditches or roofing in the dead of summer...to me anyway.

But honestly, how much CRHing would you get to do? At most, you'll open a couple of rolls of each denomination for your till daily. If some customer cashes in some CWRs, you might get first shot at them, but just how many will actually get cashed in? I'd bet that on most occasions I could find more in a day bank hopping than would get cashed in at any one particular bank in 2 weeks - 1 month.

I think this is one of those ideas that sounds like a good idea until you actually went through with it.

I think a good part of the job would be checking the coin bags after people turn in change. What if someone drops off a whole collection, BAM! Few hundred bucks! Ive thought about working at a bank im working 2 part time jobs currently and going to school. I would love to quit both of these jobs n pick up a job at a bank, especially working those bank hours.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pay cut would not work for me, and not going bank hopping would definitely slow down the hunting process. You might never see any silver getting deposited to your branch, and if you work at TD, you are supposed to tell customers when they have valuable coins, and if you find coins in the reject area, you might get a few silver coins from time to time if I haven't already taken them :). I think being able to go to several different banks and look for silver is a better bet than playing the waiting game for customers to bring in goodies IMO, but who knows... maybe granny's $5000 face in silver halves is just waiting to be deposited to your branch?

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weaselbrott said:
The pay cut would not work for me, and not going bank hopping would definitely slow down the hunting process. You might never see any silver getting deposited to your branch, and if you work at TD, you are supposed to tell customers when they have valuable coins, and if you find coins in the reject area, you might get a few silver coins from time to time if I haven't already taken them :). I think being able to go to several different banks and look for silver is a better bet than playing the waiting game for customers to bring in goodies IMO, but who knows... maybe granny's $5000 face in silver halves is just waiting to be deposited to your branch?

Yeah but you're more likely to get silver working at a bank then you are working at a normal job, you can still hunt on you're days off just like you normally would.

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
I would not be able to handle the pay cut. However, I have looked into purchasing a self service coin kiosk to put at one of the local grocery stores since the closest one to me now is about a 45 minute drive. Steady supply of coins plus 8% process fee! Its a win win! Anyone got $17K they can loan me for the machine? Lol

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if they do more short term work. I have summer break...

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigmike0377 said:
I would not be able to handle the pay cut. However, I have looked into purchasing a self service coin kiosk to put at one of the local grocery stores since the closest one to me now is about a 45 minute drive. Steady supply of coins plus 8% process fee! Its a win win! Anyone got $17K they can loan me for the machine? Lol

I bet it would take awhile to see any profit from the machine.. Unless you get a whole collection of halves.. I really love the idea though.. That would be awesome to have your own machine to search..

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Well you have to remember that you are making 8% on every dollar that is cashed in. The silver would just be a bonus. Your ROI would depend on getting your machine in an area with high traffic flow. Since there are not any coinstars or banks with counters anywhere around me, I think it would do very well. I would estimate an ROI of about a year and a half to two years which isn't great but not bad either. I owned a few golden tee machines when I lived in St Louis that paid for themselves in just under 3 months at 4k a piece. Wish I would have been into coin hunting back then lol.

Last edited:

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
bigmike0377 said:

Seriously, it's only $17K? I would think one of those machines would cost more than that. If only there were a shortage of machines in my area.....

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Yep! Cheaper if you get the one that gives out receipts instead of cash but you would probably have some serious convincing to do to get a business owner to payout the customer receipts and depend on you to pay it back to them. If you owned your own business where you could do it yourself it would only be around $13k.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you have to pay to the courier for every pick up?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread