RedAmos

Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks. I've never hunted coin rolls before but the frozen MN ground has put a halt to my metal detecting and I need something to keep me out of trouble.

I just ordered my first box of half dollars and I would like to know what I need to be looking for. I know I need to keep pre 1971 silver but is there anything else I should be looking for?

I was planning on dumping all the spent coins in the coin machine at my local Wells Fargo bank. I have an account so they don't charge a fee, and it isn't the same bank that I ordered the coins from. Has anyone had a problem with dumping in a free coin machine?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several non-silver halves that some people look for. Proofs, doubled dies, no FG's, NIFC, etc. A quick search on this forum and/or Google will tell you everything you need to know.

As far as having problems dumping, you'll just have to wade right in and see what happens. I once had a bank that after dumping ~$500 once a week through their counter for a couple of months told me they would no longer accept "large amounts" of coin from me. I have another dump bank that I could probably dump $3000 a day and it wouldn't ever be a problem. All banks are different. There is no way to know for sure other than by trial-and-error. Good luck!

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I keep any 1987 half that I find, they were a low minted year so any of the mint marks or proofs are worth keeping even though I don't know if anyone would give you any more than fifty cents for one. Like Arkie said do a search for the different errors and oddities that there are out there. Some keep one of each of the NIFC's after 2001 just for the sake of having a collection of them, depends on the funds you have to work with. There are also some 1976 silver 40%'s and some newer S proofs which are 90% that you will want to keep. Good luck to you and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread