Jackpot for a newbie on 1st coin roll hunt

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started my 1st coin roll two weeks ago on a Friday afternoon after work. I went to my local bank and asked for half dollars. They looked at me like I had lost my mind. So, I went to another bank across the street. They were friendly but acted like half dollars were no longer in circulation. I hit three more banks on our main strip and no body had half dollars or seemed willing to order a box. It was about 5:20 and most of the banks were still open, but I was feeling pretty discouraged after 5 strong rejections. So, I hit one more bank that was on my way home. I asked "Do you have any halves or Eisenhower dollars?" and they said, "We have a lot, how many do you want?" Of course, I said as many as you have. They gave me $280 in halves and $104 in Ikes. I was so excited and little did I know what I had: Two rolls were solid silver (20-1964's, and 20-1965-69's) plus there was another 40%er and then 11 Ben Franklins. I was still in shock when my 8 year old daughter said she found some weird ones: 4 Walking Liberties and 2 Barbers! Since it was my first hunt, I am afraid it is just downhill from here. Since then, I was skunked by my first box of halves, but did pick up a 1976 proof. Still working on getting some banks to order boxes of halves for me, but things are looking good. Still in shock...58 silver half dollars. What a great hobby.

Upvote 0

silas1128

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had great luck on my first score as well. I grabbed $200 in CWRs of quarters, one was solid silver! Not quite as impressive as your score, but im not complaining. Since then I have only scored a few 40%er's and a couple dimes.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, you have a kid ask for coins and the tellers will do all they can but watch out they don't just say the s-word. That is one reason that I have my Whitman's, so that I am a collector. I do like collecting everything now and have a book or two for each. Coin collecting is just a good hobby for kids, even cents, nickels, or dimes and while they build the sets you keep stacking the extra silver that they don't need, not yet anyway.

I brought the kids to the bank. They said they would order the box of halves and it would be here next week. No problem. So, now I have two pickup banks. It's a start. Hoping for some silver.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, bring treats to the tellers. They will enjoy a small gift card, or a couple dozen donuts. Cheap and an automatic brightener to your relationship for CRH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions