ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not? You can't decrease the value any by doing so, but should a rare date appear, the value increases. You have nothing to lose IMO.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not? You can't decrease the value any by doing so, but should a rare date appear, the value increases. You have nothing to lose IMO.

Exactly. I'm working on putting together a set of buffalo nickels, and so far, I'd be missing half of the dates I have now if I would have just left them dateless. One of them was my oldest coin, a 1913 Type 2.

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the dates re rub off?

Yeah, the part with the date is the highest part of the coin, and thus wears off quickly. Of the three I've found CRH, only one had a date (though that is a small sample size).

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hers that acid dated nickels dates fade over time

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi....
Don't want to steal the thread, but new to all of this and am curious what this process is, and what it does, how does it work?

Thanks,
~C~

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It brings the worn off date up to visablity

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
Liquid product called "Nic-A-Date", does the best job of bringing back the date. Good luck......L

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a roll or 2 of buffalo nickels, what dates are ya missing Boris for your collection, i can check for some if you would like =)

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i put the buffalo in vinegar for a few days now i can fully read the date. 1917. however the coin is very drab. no luster. bleek. how do i fix this? help please

hursst

Feb 13, 2013
Manassas, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't fix it. The coin is worth 10-20 cents with no date, so there's no harm in finding out the date, but you are etching the coin with vinegar and removing some of the material. Occasionally, you can sell some of the very rare dates that are "revealed," but mostly they are good just to fill in a hole in your own collection. I have many rare dates I've gotten from doing this, and they fill in holes in my collection, but they still aren't worth much. Most collectors don't want "revealed" coins no matter how rare they are.

Last edited:

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you must acid them know exactly where the date is at on the coin. I have seen many where they get the acid over half the coin face.

On a side not a fellow brought in a full set of buffalos and asked if I would give 15 bucks for them.... couldnt get the money out of my pocket quick enough.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found 8 buffalo's last year 4 dateless....after soaking them in the works toilet bowl cleaner 3 of the 4 dates came out

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did that do to the finish? Pictures?
It turns them a real ugly white and they needed to be buffed ...i think it was Montana gold that posted this method with pictures in the past but dont hold me to it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread