Noob here and Im hooked.

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noob here and I'm hooked.

Well, I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks now and I've decided to join in. It's amazing how much knowledge there is on this forum. I've made two attempts at CRH this past week with no luck I think I'm hunting someone elses dump banks. I am having a blast with it though. I've only got about $100 to play around with right now so I'm doing some really small scale hunting compared to a lot of you. My plan is to build up my bank roll over time though. First attempt was seven rolls of halves and six rolls of dimes. Skunked on both. Yesterday I picked up ten rolls of halves with no luck. Checked a bunch of 1974's for DDO and I ended up with a roll and a half of 1998's that seem to be in almost uncirculated condition. I wouldn't know for sure though. Should I keep those? Again, thanks for all the information on here and happy hunting. :hello:

Upvote 0

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome aboard. with a hundred dollars you could hunt boxes of nickels. This is where I'm at right now. 18 gets you an ounce of silver. also got the chance for buffaloes and V nickels. Keep searching there is silver out there. Best of luck to ya. Happy Hunting

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good idea on the nickels. I've thought about going with just nickels and dimes until I can build up enough bank roll to hunt a larger quantity of halves. I found one war nickel in some pocket change the other day.

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to Treasure Net! Don't bother with the uncirculated 1998s. First of all, they are only worth face value and secondly, it would take a hit to your bankroll. If they are proofs, which I'm guessing they aren't, then that would be your choice whether or not to keep them. Hope you can get some great finds!

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Southpaw, they aren't proofs. It's hard to through such good looking coins back in but with only $100 bank roll, you're right, it's a big hit.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could also roll friends or parents change for them so they can turn into a bank, would help them change out and let you look through the coins. I need to do this with my parents just haven't, i know my dad has several huge bags of coins that have been sitting there for 20+ years to current, he keeps stuffing them under his bed and says he is going to change them in but hasn't lol.

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twiasp, my mother-in-law happens to staying with us for the weekend and she just told me that she has a "ton" of coins that she'd be happy to let me roll for her. She said they've been sitting around for twenty years or more. Could be promising!!! This hobby is addictive for sure!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of you guys - those bags of coins your families have been hoarding are likely better places to search than any bank.

Good luck

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to be looking for halves with a small amount of cash your best bet is searching loose halves from teller drawers. I just did $2,000 in rolls at once and got one 64' and that's it.
Loose halves from tellers i have a unbelievable percentage of silvers. One more thing, Slow your roll, its easy to get silver fever and drive to every bank in town and ask for halves, but after using up all that gas and time you would be better off buying silver halves. When you are running errands next to a bank that you normally don't go to stop in and ask for halves, If you are out for a walk near a bank ask for halves. If you go hardcore and are driving to every bank once a week you will be disappointed and burn yourself out. Keep it a funny hobby and it will stay fun. Just my.02
HH

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've been thinking that $100 in halves isn't going to produce much. How do you go about scoring from the tellars tray? Do you just say, "Hey, mind if I sort through the change in your tray?". I don't see that working. How do you guys do it? If you spot silver in the tray do you have the tellar fish it out for you? And as far as slowing my roll, so far it hasn't cost me anything in gas. I'm not hopping all over town just to hunt coins. I pass four banks on my way to work. So far I've just stopped at two of them while going to work. Dumped my coins while the wife and I were out to the grocery store. No special trip there either. I appreciate the advice. It is a fun hobby but I see people on here and the volume and time they put into it and think, how could that still be fun?

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ask them if they have any CWR or loose half dollars they would like to get rid of, while you are at it ask if they have "big dollars" they usually still don't get it so, and offer up the "gold ones", and have to nicely explain to them, nah the huge ones (making a hand gesture to show size of them). Most of them hate dealing with them and are glad to get them out of their tils. Don't say anything about silver or start some conversations about how you look for silver. Most tellers have no clue if they are silver or not, you don't want to educate them because then you surely won't find any due to them keeping them all and educating the other tellers. If you see or hear that they are silver when getting them, keep your cool and do your happy dance in the car or when you have left the bank parking lot. Once you are used to spotting silver from a distance, trust me it doesn't take long, if you happen to notice they have a line of silver dimes or quarters in their til, just merely ask, OH can i pick up some dimes, etc.. from you, about X dollars worth, don't stand there and ask her to rabbit hunt through picking out the silvers, then she will know exactly what you are doing, and its a pain.

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see. Yeah I know better than to let on that I'm hunting silver. I've done a lot of reading on here over the past two weeks. I asked a bank teller on my second pick up if they get halves in very often and she replied, "No, just when people bring them in. They get them and go through them then drop them off." Not a good sign. I just told them that my son and I are filling coin folders and that I wouldn't be bringing them back. That made her smile. I'll have to do some research on the large dollars as to which ones are of value. The teller at the first bank tried to dump a bunch of small dollar coins on me. I told him that we haven't started collecting those yet but I'd let him know when we do. Thanks for the advice and information. I do appreciate it. Just went through some change from my wifes old purse and pulled a 43 war nickel!! Sweet!!

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tell the tellers that you will take all of their loose half dollars, no matter the amount. Then just don't cash them in at places you hunt

JHof88

Jan 13, 2013
Tellers around my say"Oh are you looking for the silver? If so I've already went through them." When I ask for their loose halves.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tellers around my say"Oh are you looking for the silver? If so I've already went through them." When I ask for their loose halves.

I have had many tellers say that to me, then reach into their drawers and pull out a handful of 40%'ers and hand them to me lol. I LOVE the tellers that are "the coin guy" at their branch that others ask them about coins and they hand me 40%'ers because they have no clue!

JHof88

Jan 13, 2013
Man, lol, I had thought that to myself. I knew I shoulda just grabbed them! Oh well, live and learn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread