Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
images

I am fairly new to CRHing (just about a month) and I have yet to find a half really worth anything other than NIFC's. After two weeks of not being able to make it to the bank due to my busy lifestyle, we had that winter storm roll through. The town pretty much shutdown for half of Thursday and all of Friday. I made it to my dump bank on Friday at about 4:30 and picked up a box of halves at another bank before 5pm. My wife and I settled in for the night with the red box movie "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter". Not a movie spoiler comment, but at one point they mentioned having to collect a bunch of silver to kill the vampires. I thought that was an appropriate theme as I was unwrapping my halves. I was skunked until around roll 35 when I opened it up and right in the middle were three silver coins. One looked like it had been shaved down like so many I had seen before, but was still silver. It was a 1969D 40%er, a 1941 Walker, and a 1907 Barber. I was running around the living room while my wife was yelling "Let me see! Let me see!" :laughing7: Other finds include NIFC's: 1997S, 2006D, and 2009D. I got another box today, so we'll see how that goes...

pic1.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic2.jpg

HH to you...and of course Abe Lincoln!

Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, now we are having an outbreak of haircuts! HH Nice Cull.

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I'd probably be acting the same way if I found a Barber!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah count me in on running around in circles when I finally find a barber, specially in as nice of condition as ive seen posted up here lately, and yours too :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody knows on 90% silver or higher will work for the vampires.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen people load shotgun cartridges with dimes on youtube and mess stuff up hard... Imagine with silver dimes... haha

OP
OP
Sleepy Holow

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Opened up today's halves box and saw this right off the bat:

View attachment 746898

Nice way to start it off with 2 enders! I saved those rolls until the end. The first roll I opened yielded a 1939 Walker and it kept going from there. This box's total yield was:

2 Walkers (1939,1942)
1 1964 90%
11 40%'s
11 NIFC's

View attachment 746917

The 1942 Walker has a lot of detail left to her, but she's pretty dirty. Sorry the picture isn't clearer. Is it a good idea to try to clean coins or does that just lead to destroying them? Guess I've got some research to do.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some good finds you got there sleeply. you gotta remember Lincoln was real but

THERE
IS
NO
SUCH
THING
AS
VAMPIRES
PERIOD.
Yes, but there are Zombie Corporations that are the living dead that came back due to the Government Bailouts.

Tennessee Jeremy

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2012
Greeneville Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, whites spectrum XLT 1996 :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Finds ! My first 7 half dollar coin rolls from my new bank gave me 7 silver, 3 / 90% and 4 / 40% and that was all they had. I checked every bank in town after that but found nothing. I ordered 3000 more coins still nothing, about 18 years ago I got 5 rolls of 1964's 100 silver coins! wish I didn't sell them :( --==HH==--

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, vampires don't mind silver at all unless it's in the shape of a crucifix. Werewolves, however, are very much put off by silver bullets while zombies, as the previous post so eloquently stated, are all in government or government-affiliated corporations and non-profits.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1942 Walker has a lot of detail left to her, but she's pretty dirty. Sorry the picture isn't clearer. Is it a good idea to try to clean coins or does that just lead to destroying them? Guess I've got some research to do.

It damages the collector's value, but this coin is only worth melt anyway. However, it reduces the detail a bit too.

OP
OP
Sleepy Holow

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the response sagittarius98. Not only is that good to know for this coin, but for others down the road as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread