Pretty Good (and Pretty Weird) Day Hunting Dimes and Nickels Yesterday...

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been getting barely anything from halves boxes since the beginning of the year (one or two here and there) so I decided to just go on an all out dime hunt yesterday. I stopped at five different banks and picked up a total of six dime boxes. I also picked up a box of nickels for fun. (I don't ordinarily hunt nickels, but I was in the mood for something different.) Anyway, it was a pretty good day! Only two of the dime boxes were skunks. Here is what I found:

• 1 1914 Canada 10 Cents
• 1 1950 Canada 10 Cents
• 1 1968 Canada 10 Cents
• 5 Mercury Dimes: 1941, 1944 (2), 1945 (2)
• 4 Roosies: 1951, 1954, 1961, and 1964
•*1 1945 P Nickel
• 1 "The History Channel Club Token" (not 1776)

Pictures are below. The Mercs look like they were part of a dump or something. They were all in the same box just a couple of rolls apart with close years, and I've never found that many all together. They all also seem to have the same patina. I'm thinking maybe somebody was dumping an album? Anyway, they came in a Brink's box with a recent date stamp though, so who knows where the hell the rest of that collection went! The 1914 Canadian was a real heart stopper. That's the oldest dime I have found to date. I think it is also sterling silver (92.5%). It seems crazy to be that excited about a dime, but I was :-)

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I'm not the only one now with a History Channel Club token. :)

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gratz on all the finds. Glad to see you at least scored something out of your nickel boxes. Nickels are one of my favorite denominations to look through, not sure why they just relax me more and are slow paced since i look at the coins more.

OP
OP
OtlFrutiger

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gratz on all the finds. Glad to see you at least scored something out of your nickel boxes. Nickels are one of my favorite denominations to look through, not sure why they just relax me more and are slow paced since i look at the coins more.

I agree. There's something about nickels that helps me enjoy the hobby more. It's slower, and more interesting I guess. There's always something from the 30s or 40s too.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
OF, that's a great score, nice pics, and been a while since I've seen a sterling Canadian, congrats

Nomatic00

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a nice haul! I wish my boxes produced like that. I also agree about the nickels, they are the most fun to me..

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet cull my friend, keep at it, i'd take that canadian silver over a merc any day!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds, I would be just as excited about the Dime too, it is very cool! I think the token is a cool find too, I like finding weird stuff in my boxes. HH, Maverick.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, I would be just as excited about the Dime too, it is very cool! I think the token is a cool find too, I like finding weird stuff in my boxes. HH, Maverick.

Note to self send.... send Maverick a box of guitar picks in his halves boxes this week. :BangHead:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Note to self send.... send Maverick a box of guitar picks in his halves boxes this week. :BangHead:

Lol, I have never had any of those before.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me either Mav, but have heard of some that get them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread