While asking for halfs..

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While asking for halves do you guys include the language "Do you have any rolls of half dollars in the vault?" or "Do you have any half dollars"..It seems to be whenever I ask "Do you have any half dollars" they will stare dumbfounded at their little coin trays, as if im asking to just check those and not the back. What are your thoughts on this? Should I say "Do you have any rolls of half dollars in the vault?" or would that be too much. Also i have noticed that these vault managers seem to always take lunches around 12-1, making it very hard to score some ag on your lunch break! Ahh just a rant and really wondering! Thanks yall.

Upvote 0

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's case by case and you have to know how to read people. I get a lot of tellers, especially at branches that are new to me, who are polite but seem a touch annoyed with my request. On the other hand, there are tellers I strike up a nice conversation with. So, I think there is no definitive answer. My best CWRs came out of a vault, but I have a good relationship with the teller who helped me and I have had an extensive business relationship with the bank involved for many years. Even then, I had to sit for 15 minutes while the vault was opened (another reason you may be putting a teller out by asking them to check the vault). You definitely want to know if there are any halves in the vault, but you have to find the right opportunity to ask.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CC, good tips. I think i'm going to diversify my speech while asking to maximize my results..You make a good point about it taking awhile for them to check the vault and if they were busy they may not even want to offer that alternative place to search, plus most of the time i go inside a bank on my lunch break the lead teller is off so you have to weight till they get back in order for them to be "allowed" to look... I got a list of about 100 banks and i'm just going to call them one by one to see if they have any, might take a week to do it but I bet it should pay off, quantity of quality i guess..

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually say: "Do happen to have any of those big fifty cent pieces, either loose or in rolls anywhere?" That way I sound more like I don't know so much about what I am doing and they are little nicer to naive guy. They will also then ask around to all of the other tellers working when I ask it that way.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha Frutiger nice wording, maybe that's why i had so many first time scores because i was still nervous and sounded naive and not like a cocky out to take all your coins hard-ass!! I will give this a try no doubt! Thanks again.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got any of dem dare big ole dollar coins! I usually think too much when it comes to asking, its time for a the new approach, acting like a noob and not giving a darn!

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my branches are hard to get halves from, and other branches the tellers are falling all over themselves to get rid of the darn things.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"do you or anybody else have any half dollars or large dollar coins?"

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a good one Buffalo

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usually the teller working drive thru will chime in happily wanting to get rid of her halves and golden dollars, but honestly, i don't buy the golden dollars.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa thats actually a first, i never tried CRH going through the drive through, im always anticipating rolls and rolls so i thought it would be to lengthy to send over through the chute

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh, i'm sorry, i there must be a miscommunication... I never use the drive-thru to get coins, i always walk into the bank, usually the drive-thru is connected to the main teller area and he/she usually overhears me asking for halves and has them sometimes. I always go into the bank anticipating on getting rolls or boxes of coins, I rarely ever leave empty handed, even if it is $10 in pennies.
hh
Whoa thats actually a first, i never tried CRH going through the drive through, im always anticipating rolls and rolls so i thought it would be to lengthy to send over through the chute

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I always use the drive-ups at two BOAs where I know the tellers real well. Besides halves and Ikes that they get in, they will give me up to about 4 boxes of dimes and nickels a week. I just got 16.50 in halves and a Ike an hour ago but didn't ask for any boxes, I wanted one, because neither of the two tellers were there. I don't ever dump at this branch of BOA because of using their drive-up to pick-up. You just have to use the commercial lanes for the boxes.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
minkybodl said:
I always use the drive-ups at two BOAs where I know the tellers real well. Besides halves and Ikes that they get in, they will give me up to about 4 boxes of dimes and nickels a week. I just got 16.50 in halves and a Ike an hour ago but didn't ask for any boxes, I wanted one, because neither of the two tellers were there. I don't ever dump at this branch of BOA because of using their drive-up to pick-up. You just have to use the commercial lanes for the boxes.

Yup, I use the commercial drive ups at banks too, if I have my 3 yr olddaughter with me, it is just easier to pull up and ask, I have scored several times doing this and you can cover way more banks this way. If they have any, you can usually get them from the drive up if they are nice and ask around real qwik for you. HH, Maverick.

RubiconBob

Feb 25, 2013
South Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's VX3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't bother asking for half dollars anymore. I send in my girlfriend. Tellers don't feel men need half dollars. Yet when a woman asks, it must be important. The very first time I sent her into a bank. They bent over backwards to get her the only Kennedy half in the bank. A 1964 90% Now she's hooked, and I can't get the silver :(

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask if they have any rolls of halfs in the vault but the vault or head teller needs to be there when you ask. I've gone into a branch and been told they had nada but the next week I asked when the vault teller was there and got over 800 CWR she had sitting in the vault for two months. She was about to ship them off, I'm glad she didn't!

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang BRChiver that makes me wonder if I should go back and wait for the vault manager be there..

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the "do you have any of those big dollar coins" to a USbank that i've never been to and the lady shakes her head no as she covers up her tray with her arm and says "oh no we don't have any of those just these gold dollars" she then moves her arm back, and i clearly see a whole row of Kennedy halves in a stack (most looked like clad) and i said, Oh i said "oh really, what are those?" in a naive tone..this lady replies with "oh these are reserved"..I immediately get kinda ticked off but hold back and stay nice and smiley, i start asking about the bank and questions of minimum deposit and she kindly answers them all..long story short i take her card and call the bank and tell one of the bankers that she refused to sell me halves because they were "reserved"..the lady was pretty surprised, came down to it, those really were 'reserved' for another customer and she was holding them for him/her. I call BS on this but eitherway I know someone else is in my neck of the woods but by the looks of it, im in his neck of the woods hehe owell..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions