EBAY ROLL FINDS!

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
Got my firsts 2 unserched wheat cent rolls and here are my finds. Just from 2 rolls

First my s mint finds will go from left to right

ForumRunner_20130225_212512.png

Now my merc dimes same thing left to right
1939 1942x2

ForumRunner_20130225_212708.png

Now the Indian heads. Same thing as before left to right going down

ForumRunner_20130225_213119.png

Now my 2 fav finds very nice 1855 seated dime FULL LIBERTY AMAZING SHAPE. shipping this to get graded. The second pic is my fav. 1888 FULL LIBERTY amazing shape and rare. Rare? You might say. It's because it is a S mint!!! Yes a 1888s. Also to be sent out and graded

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1855 looks like it's around VF-35, meaning a value of about $40. I don't think it's worth grading, as it will cost you $30. The other dime is worth $30. Nice finds, but not worth grading.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miller - It is VERY unlikly that anyone would sell a unsearched roll.

The neat finds were most likely seeded.

My notes are simply the Most Likely scenario, not necessarily 100%.

Half Hunter

Jan 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much was the shipping? If that roll was 8$, the 5 silver dimes are worth over 10$ in silver value , indians should be at a minimum .50, I see 15$ there for sure.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much was the shipping? If that roll was 8$, the 5 silver dimes are worth over 10$ in silver value , indians should be at a minimum .50, I see 15$ there for sure.

8 dollars a piece.

he didn't say how many he ordered. probably more than 1.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins Miller. Definitely a good buy @ $16.

With that said, most likely Coin Fetcher is correct. 99.999% of "unsearched" rolls on ebay have indeed been searched. On a roll of cents they'll tease you with "something good" showing on one or both ends like an Indian, a 1916 Merc, the reverse (backside) of a dime that is either a Barber or Seated Liberty, etc. which often times causes these "unsearched" rolls to sell for crazy amounts of money. Most of the time all of the non-showing coins are all common date wheaties. In 1 out of every 50-100 rolls or so, the seller will often add a good coin (like your 1855 dime) into the middle in the hopes that you'll leave good feedback stating that you found something good to help sell his/her future rolls at top dollar. Its kind of shady actually but seems to work well. Think about it...a 1916-D Merc is a $1000+ coin depending on condition. With a potential $1000+ coin showing, no one is going to sell that roll in the $8 - $50 range without checking it. Buying these rolls is generally akin to buying a lottery ticket. You might get a winner, but most likely you won't.

Also from reading your comments, I think that you believe all S - mint coins are rare. This isn't true in the least. Get yourself a copy of a Redbook or even check the price guide at the PCGS website (PCGS - Price Guide). Don't take the listed values to heart (as anything - coin or otherwise - is only worth what you can sell it for, regardless of what any book or website states), but either of these will show you what the key, semi-key, and common dates are for all coins.

Finally, its your money. Spend it in whatever way makes you happy regardless of any advice you get from me or anyone else.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice coins Miller. Definitely a good buy @ $16.

With that said, most likely Coin Fetcher is correct. 99.999% of "unsearched" rolls on ebay have indeed been searched. On a roll of cents they'll tease you with "something good" showing on one or both ends like an Indian, a 1916 Merc, the reverse (backside) of a dime that is either a Barber or Seated Liberty, etc. which often times causes these "unsearched" rolls to sell for crazy amounts of money. Most of the time all of the non-showing coins are all common date wheaties. In 1 out of every 50-100 rolls or so, the seller will often add a good coin (like your 1855 dime) into the middle in the hopes that you'll leave good feedback stating that you found something good to help sell his/her future rolls at top dollar. Its kind of shady actually but seems to work well. Think about it...a 1916-D Merc is a $1000+ coin depending on condition. With a potential $1000+ coin showing, no one is going to sell that roll in the $8 - $50 range without checking it. Buying these rolls is generally akin to buying a lottery ticket. You might get a winner, but most likely you won't.

Also from reading your comments, I think that you believe all S - mint coins are rare. This isn't true in the least. Get yourself a copy of a Redbook or even check the price guide at the PCGS website (PCGS - Price Guide). Don't take the listed values to heart (as anything - coin or otherwise - is only worth what you can sell it for, regardless of what any book or website states), but either of these will show you what the key, semi-key, and common dates are for all coins.

Finally, its your money. Spend it in whatever way makes you happy regardless of any advice you get from me or anyone else.

PCGS price guide is suggested retail pricing for problem free coins in PCGS slabs.

Numismedia fair market value price guide is much more acurate, IMO. NumisMedia Online FMV Rare Coin Price Guide Index - Retail Fair Market Value Prices for U.S. Rare Coins - Numismatic Values - the Official Price Guide of NGC and the Collectors Society

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PCGS price guide is suggested retail pricing for problem free coins in PCGS slabs.

Numismedia fair market value price guide is much more acurate, IMO. NumisMedia Online FMV Rare Coin Price Guide Index - Retail Fair Market Value Prices for U.S. Rare Coins - Numismatic Values - the Official Price Guide of NGC and the Collectors Society

I wasn't advocating the PCGS price guide as a great guide to coin values, just merely that it could be used to differentiate between key/semi-key/common dates. For my money, ebay is the best, most up to date "price guide" out there. You can fairly quickly get a very accurate idea of what any particular coin is selling for in a worldwide market.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread