Bank Charging Devastation - Last Box Elation

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I called my best pickup bank today to see if she had any boxes left over and she said I have some bad news for you. "Someone, not me, was calling around about your account and now Management says that because we have to pay for boxes of coins we will have to start charging you five dollars a box starting March 1." I told her I knew who it was because, I was only ordering from one other branch which I just started doing again like five weeks ago. The other branch used to order me a box of halves, dimes, and nickels for about a year but I had stopped ordering them a few months ago and in that time they changed to a new vault teller who has been a nightmare. The first week she just "forgot" then she ordered 2 to make up for the week she had missed which I got, then I ordered another box of halves but they didn't come in because she said she needed to order 2 to get any, so I asked her to just get me 2 dimes and a box of nickels. This week she had a box of nickels but said only 2 boxes of dimes came in and she needed some. I asked her if she could do at least a box of nickels and one of dimes and she said OK. When I was paying for them, I told her I had a full box of dimes I could give her if she needed more dimes, she said no but got a little snappy and asked me what I did with the coins I got from her. Kind of in a corner, I told her the truth and said that I bring them to BOA and deposit them into my account (little white lie) instead of just exchanging them for cash. I guess ordering boxes for me was too much trouble for her so she called and complained about me and they found out that I was also getting 2 boxes of halves, 1 dime, and 1 nickel, from the branch in my town, I never told her about it. So my trying to get 3 boxes of halves instead of 2 pushed my account over the edge and I am costing the bank too much money. The one branch was like gold to me and they got me so many boxes and even stocked them so if I wanted any they had them for like 2 years now but I ruined that by trying to deal with a bad mood vault teller smart enough to not have to be doing anything for me now. She fixed my wagon before I even knew it was broken.

My good teller told me I can get 2 halves and a dime and nickel boxes on Thursday before she has to start charging me on Friday, the 1st. She kept apologizing and sounded like she felt so bad for me so I thanked her for all they had done for me and I told her I would just get whatever CWR they have when any come in.

So then I go to pick-up a box of halves and dimes from another bank's branch that I have been using for about 3 weeks now, after getting 2 skunk halves and dimes boxes, and when I ask the vault teller if she can just get me the same thing next week she says, "I don't know I'll have to check with management." if it is going to be every week. I said well if it matters I don't need the dimes, (I can get dimes at 5 other places), and even the halves if it is a problem maybe like every other week just trying to be nice because I was getting the feeling that she was lazy and didn't want to have to get or do anything. She just said, "I'll have to see what they say." Driving away and talking to my wife I decided that she had almost told me she didn't want to get them for me and I began to worry because at another branch of that same bank in my hometown they get me a box of each every week and are real happy to do it for me. I didn't want another lazy vault teller ruining my other good pick-up bank. I only order 1 box because they are all women at the banks I go to. I called her back and told her to cancel my order for next week and I figure I will just keep going in asking for loose halves and Ikes and maybe try to order 1 box of halves in a month after I feel them out. She said she would ask about ordering them for me anyway so I just hope I didn't mess up my other branch too.

Then the kick in the head, when I get home and open the half box I saw a reverse ender and a Balboa ender and told my wife I wonder what kind of box this I'll get in this sick game of I can't get another one from that bank's branch now. Sure enough, somewhere in my top five all time.

2 Walkers, 41 & 42
8 Franklins 4-63's, 62, 2-61, 49D beat to death
1 JFK

16 40%'s
and a 79 Balboa

Would have been a nice box to end a 8 box skunk streak (not counting 2 40%'s) if not for all the extra vault teller drama.

Upvote 0

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had $40 in rolled halves the other day I brought to a supermarket branch, no big deal right? The teller said "OH NO, tell me you aren't giving me those. (pulls out 2 20$ bills and puts them on the counter for me) People go through these things and just give them right back." I replied to him, its $40 - if you would like I have another $3,000 worth in the car I could bring in!

Some people are just miserable, too bad they have to ruin it for us. Our transactions help them hold on to their jobs......more customers, more tellers!

BuxSilvers

Greenie
Dec 10, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I have been running into the same " this is costing the bank money" BS getting kinda old, I mean they do use our money for free pretty much... ungrateful worms.

Last edited:

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
The branches I order from are all from the same bank, they all know I order from each other and the reason I do so is because none of the branches have the ability to store more than 3 boxes at a time with any ease. So I order 2 from one bi monthly, from the other I order 2 one week and 3 the next and from the third, I order 3 a week. I have been doing so for a year now with no complaints, I am charged $8.95 a month for my account and will gladly pay the fee.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Minky, sorry to hear that, that is everyones fear, the F word, Keep us posted and good luck. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Sorry my post was so long. This happened at two completely different banks today where I do use both of their different branches. I have accounts with both banks and at the first one the fee was 5 dollars per box of anything. The second bank never got around to any talk of fees but I didn't want them to either. I was thinking I might try a few boxes of halves now and then but a box of cents for 5 or even nickels is too much. I'll just go elsewhere which is really all they want.

I was thinking about trying some new banks anyway.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the branch that caused the initial trouble just became a dump bank for you. Walk in with a big grin and say, "I would like to deposit ALL of this into my account."

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
If the person who was calling around about your account is from another bank, I think its against the law for the 2nd bank to give out any personal and financial information to them, unless its the police/FBI kinda call. at the least I would be pretty cheesed out if someone from my bank was telling information to a person over the phone. As for ordering boxes, check out a grocery store that you go to all the time. I know they probably can't order boxes of halves but if you know them really well, the cash office or head customer service manager might order you boxes weekly. I have been getting 2 boxes of dimes per week from my work place. its not a lot but if your bank is charging you per box, those few boxes from the grocery store are charge free. I plan on getting a gift card for my co-worker who is the cash office manager because she has been so sweet to me. She even told me she could order boxes of halves if I wanted them but I won't put her or myself into that much heavy lifting.

Sincerely, Garoulady

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the person who was calling around about your account is from another bank, I think its against the law for the 2nd bank to give out any personal and financial information to them, unless its the police/FBI kinda call. at the least I would be pretty cheesed out if someone from my bank was telling information to a person over the phone. As for ordering boxes, check out a grocery store that you go to all the time. I know they probably can't order boxes of halves but if you know them really well, the cash office or head customer service manager might order you boxes weekly. I have been getting 2 boxes of dimes per week from my work place. its not a lot but if your bank is charging you per box, those few boxes from the grocery store are charge free. I plan on getting a gift card for my co-worker who is the cash office manager because she has been so sweet to me. She even told me she could order boxes of halves if I wanted them but I won't put her or myself into that much heavy lifting.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Same bank, different branch. They are entitled to share information.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry... all banks around here are fees fees and more fees as well... i went out and tried to order halves from 3 different banks within the last 2 weeks, 2 said no, and 1 said $7.50 per box.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make them into a dump bank until they start charging for that. You have nothing to lose now!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this bank a WF by any chance? I heard a March 1st thing from them as well.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a frightening story...I hope it doesn't spread to banks everywhere.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been getting the same message for a week and a half now, from most of my pickup banks, not sure if they can order, one bank telling me they can only order once for me etc... Only time will tell

BuxSilvers

Greenie
Dec 10, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a problem dumping a box the other day at a bank my daughters saving account is with. I usually bring in a box a week and deposit 1/4 of it to her account and cash out the rest. I even reroll, they didn't cut me off but I was reminded how it costs the bank money.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I would still check into ordering from groceries stores. I know it won't be as high volume as getting 10-15 boxes at a time, but if you get two boxes from each grocery store it adds up like if you were doing bank boxes. I just picked up my boxes from my store. Next week on my day off, weather permitting I plan on dumping my boxes.

Hope this helps, Garoulady

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are banks I do business with: First one ordered the halves, but the next time I tried to get some, the answer was no. Second bank, would not take back rolled coin. Said I had to run it through their machine and pay them 5% for the privilege. Third bank, not a problem, but I'm not really getting anything good out of the boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions