Two boxes of halves - the Great, the Weird, the Weirder
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Two boxes of halves - the Great, the Weird, the Weirder

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2013
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Two boxes of halves - the Great, the Weird, the Weirder

Picked up two boxes this morning. Son and I open first box and score a 40% in the first roll. Not bad. Hottest box ever opened through 25 rolls producing 16 40%.

Second layer was the first sign our luck was changing.. with the entire layer of 25 rolls wrapped in $25 dollar gray wrappers. Only picked up one more 40%.

Second box took the cake for weird. The entire box was 100% Uncirculated 2001 Halves. They looked like they went directly from NIFC rolls to Brinks rolls.

Stopped after the first layer of these when it was apparent that the entire box was 2001 UNC. Any value to the full Bank rolls of NIFC?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAC.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	750568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAB.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	750567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	750566
    palidin20603 likes this.

us
    Apr 2011
    232 times
    i would say there is little to no value in the 2001's , nice job on the 40%'s

us
    Mar 2012
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 Garrett Ace 250
    1897 times
    Coin Roll Hunting/ Metal detecting
    Nice score on the 40's, I thought from your picks that your bad luck was gonna be the reused MWR's when you opened the box. HH, Maverick.

us
    Dec 2012
    Michigan
    197 times
    I'd always check eBay for things like that. One to two rolls wont make a huge difference on your bank roll. Sometimes people pay a premium so its justa matter of right find right time. Good luck
    ~2013~ CRH GOALS
    8/12 Buffalo Nickels
    13/16 War nickels
    120/250 Wheaties
    0/1 Indian Head
    1/1 Silver dime (american)
    1/4 Troy ounce rounds (bought)

us
    Feb 2012
    219 times
    Good cull on the 40s. Nevers seen $25 rolls,they did have $10 in coin in them right?
    I got a box of solid 2001s two or three weeks ago, hope it doesn't become more common.
    HH
    agme

Jan 2013
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agme View Post
    Good cull on the 40s. Nevers seen $25 rolls,they did have $10 in coin in them right?
    I got a box of solid 2001s two or three weeks ago, hope it doesn't become more common.
    HH
    agme
    No kidding on the full boxes of NIFC. As for the $25 rolls they had $10 in them, but since the $25 roll is longer, the roller had a hard time crimping one end.

Jan 2013
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Nice score on the 40's, I thought from your picks that your bad luck was gonna be the reused MWR's when you opened the box. HH, Maverick.
    I don't usually repack - as I use coinlock bags or coin counters where available. However, for these, figured the last thing the next person down the line would want is a wrapped roll of NIFC. So, the box is going back half re-packed and half unopened. I know that's bad CRH etiquette, but no alternatives for this area where I'm at (no coin counters or coin lock bag banks).

Wish for the benefit of all of us, that there was a place to send the NIFC's instead of back into circulation again.

us
    Mar 2012
    1897 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rckymtn View Post
    I don't usually repack - as I use coinlock bags or coin counters where available. However, for these, figured the last thing the next person down the line would want is a wrapped roll of NIFC. So, the box is going back half re-packed and half unopened. I know that's bad CRH etiquette, but no alternatives for this area where I'm at (no coin counters or coin lock bag banks).

Wish for the benefit of all of us, that there was a place to send the NIFC's instead of back into circulation again.
    I am the last person that would advocate this ( as I hate it with a passion) but, if your going to send them back anyway, you might as well just slit the sides on the rest of them just to be sure you don't see a Silver rim in them and tape them back up, you never know what is in the rest of the box. I just had a similar box a few weeks back and found Silver in it, it wasn't all the same year like yours, but it was most all NIFC's. Good luck, Maverick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6010.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	750719  

Jan 2013
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I am the last person that would advocate this ( as I hate it with a passion) but, if your going to send them back anyway, you might as well just slit the sides on the rest of them just to be sure you don't see a Silver rim in them and tape them back up, you never know what is in the rest of the box. I just had a similar box a few weeks back and found Silver in it, it wasn't all the same year like yours, but it was most all NIFC's. Good luck, Maverick.
    I may still open the rest of the rolls. I'm kind of a what has the better odds kind of guy - 25 rolls opened and are 100% identical, and the rest look like it as well on both ends.. what's the odds that I'm going to get any other coin, including a silver in the rest? Sometimes I choose to just haul bait and move on.
    maverick likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    1897 times
    I may still open the rest of the rolls. I'm kind of a what has the better odds kind of guy - 25 rolls opened and are 100% identical, and the rest look like it as well on both ends.. what's the odds that I'm going to get any other coin, including a silver in the rest? Sometimes I choose to just haul bait and move on.
    I agree, I just allways have that what if in my head, lol. I don't have any coin machines in my area either, it's reroll or bag dumps for me too, if you peek at my last thread I just did this week, you'll see I rerolled 20 boxes this week to dump. HH, Maverick.

us
    Feb 2012
    18 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Good Job on the 40%ers.
    sagittarius98 likes this.
    2012 Conundrum (all at same bank):

1st box of halves: 27 40% , 2 90%

2nd box of halves: 1 90%

3rd and 4th boxes of halves: Skunked

5th box of halves: All 2000's or so

us
    Jun 2011
    Downstate New York
    White Spectra V3i
    436 times
    Picked up two boxes this morning. Son and I open first box and score a 40% in the first roll. Not bad. Hottest box ever opened through 25 rolls producing 16 40%.

Second layer was the first sign our luck was changing.. with the entire layer of 25 rolls wrapped in $25 dollar gray wrappers. Only picked up one more 40%.

Second box took the cake for weird. The entire box was 100% Uncirculated 2001 Halves. They looked like they went directly from NIFC rolls to Brinks rolls.

Stopped after the first layer of these when it was apparent that the entire box was 2001 UNC. Any value to the full Bank rolls of NIFC?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAC.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	750568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAB.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	750567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	750566
    Congrats on the 40s. Finding silver is always nice. Sorry to tell you this but 2001 halfs are not NIFC. 2002 & later are NIFC. Just dump them as they have no extra value being in the Brinks rolls. Good luck in the future. Hope you find much silver in your next box.

HH Gary
    Last edited by CW3(RET) USARMY; Mar 02, 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added additional content
    sagittarius98 likes this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Expanding Operations
    Never used one, but am interested
    552 times
    CRHing
    I agree with CW3(RET) USARMY, they are not NIFC. Are they all from the Denver mint, or is it a mix? If it's a mix, I would open those other 25 in hopes of finding a 2001 Silver Proof.

us
    The Doctor

Feb 2013
    your reject tray
    69 times
    I know you said 2002 and after are NIFC. Here comes the stupid question. Is my 2011 I found worth keeping then?

Thanks

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    745 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by drcaulfield View Post
    I know you said 2002 and after are NIFC. Here comes the stupid question. Is my 2011 I found worth keeping then?

Thanks
    Your decision. It has no extra value, but it's only 50 cents. You can only tell what you want to keep. If you want to keep all 1996 halves, go ahead, it's your collection and your money, not mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links