Two boxes of halves - the Great, the Weird, the Weirder

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up two boxes this morning. Son and I open first box and score a 40% in the first roll. Not bad. Hottest box ever opened through 25 rolls producing 16 40%.

Second layer was the first sign our luck was changing.. with the entire layer of 25 rolls wrapped in $25 dollar gray wrappers. Only picked up one more 40%.

Second box took the cake for weird. The entire box was 100% Uncirculated 2001 Halves. They looked like they went directly from NIFC rolls to Brinks rolls.

Stopped after the first layer of these when it was apparent that the entire box was 2001 UNC. Any value to the full Bank rolls of NIFC?
AAC.jpg AAB.jpg AAA.jpg

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would say there is little to no value in the 2001's , nice job on the 40%'s

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score on the 40's, I thought from your picks that your bad luck was gonna be the reused MWR's when you opened the box. HH, Maverick.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd always check eBay for things like that. One to two rolls wont make a huge difference on your bank roll. Sometimes people pay a premium so its justa matter of right find right time. Good luck

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good cull on the 40s. Nevers seen $25 rolls,they did have $10 in coin in them right?
I got a box of solid 2001s two or three weeks ago, hope it doesn't become more common.
HH
agme

OP
OP
rckymtn

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good cull on the 40s. Nevers seen $25 rolls,they did have $10 in coin in them right?
I got a box of solid 2001s two or three weeks ago, hope it doesn't become more common.
HH
agme

No kidding on the full boxes of NIFC. As for the $25 rolls they had $10 in them, but since the $25 roll is longer, the roller had a hard time crimping one end.

OP
OP
rckymtn

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on the 40's, I thought from your picks that your bad luck was gonna be the reused MWR's when you opened the box. HH, Maverick.

I don't usually repack - as I use coinlock bags or coin counters where available. However, for these, figured the last thing the next person down the line would want is a wrapped roll of NIFC. So, the box is going back half re-packed and half unopened. I know that's bad CRH etiquette, but no alternatives for this area where I'm at (no coin counters or coin lock bag banks).

Wish for the benefit of all of us, that there was a place to send the NIFC's instead of back into circulation again.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't usually repack - as I use coinlock bags or coin counters where available. However, for these, figured the last thing the next person down the line would want is a wrapped roll of NIFC. So, the box is going back half re-packed and half unopened. I know that's bad CRH etiquette, but no alternatives for this area where I'm at (no coin counters or coin lock bag banks).

Wish for the benefit of all of us, that there was a place to send the NIFC's instead of back into circulation again.

I am the last person that would advocate this ( as I hate it with a passion) but, if your going to send them back anyway, you might as well just slit the sides on the rest of them just to be sure you don't see a Silver rim in them and tape them back up, you never know what is in the rest of the box. I just had a similar box a few weeks back and found Silver in it, it wasn't all the same year like yours, but it was most all NIFC's. Good luck, Maverick.

Attachments

• DSCN6010.JPG
    DSCN6010.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 162
OP
OP
rckymtn

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the last person that would advocate this ( as I hate it with a passion) but, if your going to send them back anyway, you might as well just slit the sides on the rest of them just to be sure you don't see a Silver rim in them and tape them back up, you never know what is in the rest of the box. I just had a similar box a few weeks back and found Silver in it, it wasn't all the same year like yours, but it was most all NIFC's. Good luck, Maverick.

I may still open the rest of the rolls. I'm kind of a what has the better odds kind of guy - 25 rolls opened and are 100% identical, and the rest look like it as well on both ends.. what's the odds that I'm going to get any other coin, including a silver in the rest? Sometimes I choose to just haul bait and move on.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I may still open the rest of the rolls. I'm kind of a what has the better odds kind of guy - 25 rolls opened and are 100% identical, and the rest look like it as well on both ends.. what's the odds that I'm going to get any other coin, including a silver in the rest? Sometimes I choose to just haul bait and move on.

I agree, I just allways have that what if in my head, lol. I don't have any coin machines in my area either, it's reroll or bag dumps for me too, if you peek at my last thread I just did this week, you'll see I rerolled 20 boxes this week to dump. HH, Maverick.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up two boxes this morning. Son and I open first box and score a 40% in the first roll. Not bad. Hottest box ever opened through 25 rolls producing 16 40%.

Second layer was the first sign our luck was changing.. with the entire layer of 25 rolls wrapped in $25 dollar gray wrappers. Only picked up one more 40%.

Second box took the cake for weird. The entire box was 100% Uncirculated 2001 Halves. They looked like they went directly from NIFC rolls to Brinks rolls.

Stopped after the first layer of these when it was apparent that the entire box was 2001 UNC. Any value to the full Bank rolls of NIFC?
View attachment 750568 View attachment 750567 View attachment 750566

:BangHead: Congrats on the 40s. Finding silver is always nice. Sorry to tell you this but 2001 halfs are not NIFC. 2002 & later are NIFC. Just dump them as they have no extra value being in the Brinks rolls. Good luck in the future. Hope you find much silver in your next box.

HH Gary

Last edited:

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with CW3(RET) USARMY, they are not NIFC. Are they all from the Denver mint, or is it a mix? If it's a mix, I would open those other 25 in hopes of finding a 2001 Silver Proof.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I know you said 2002 and after are NIFC. Here comes the stupid question. Is my 2011 I found worth keeping then?

Thanks

Your decision. It has no extra value, but it's only 50 cents. You can only tell what you want to keep. If you want to keep all 1996 halves, go ahead, it's your collection and your money, not mine.

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The 2001 half thing reminds me of the box I last searched like 7 months ago or so.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
You could likely get $15.00 or better a roll onEbay. Minus fees, shipping, printinglabel, trip to post office, might still clear $2-3.00 per roll for theeffort. Is it worth the effort???

PEACE

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could likely get $15.00 or better a roll onEbay. Minus fees, shipping, printinglabel, trip to post office, might still clear $2-3.00 per roll for theeffort. Is it worth the effort???

PEACE

:icon_scratch:I don't know if he can get that. These are in Brinks rolls not Federal Mint rolls. They have been opened & rolled by Brinks. That does make a big difference.

HH
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread