Rerolling vs. counting machine: Some random thoughts

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I reroll out of necessity since there isn't a free counting machine in my area.

Some pros of counting machines:
1) It's a lot easier to tear open the rolls, look for silver, dump in a bag, and then run it through the machine and get your cash.
2) If there are only a few coin counting machines, then it focuses the dumps to a few banks and hopefully a few couriers.

Cons of counting machines or pro of rerolling:
1) The silver gets diluted and spread around since the machine mixes the dumps with the good stuff and then it gets sent off to be further diluted and re-rolled.
2) If in fact the banks send off my re-rolls and the couriers don't re-re-roll the rolls I dump, then at least the customer wrapped rolls would stay intact and you may get a big jackpot. A jackpot sounds better to me, then having to go through box after box with just one or two 40%.

Con of rerolling:
1) The banks just hang on to the dumped rolls and give them to the hunter when they ask for half dollars. Of course the good hunter will then proceed to dump these at their dump bank.

If the hunter is re-rolling and dumping at the same bank, eventually the bank will send them off if they reach whatever number they have in mind. Is it possible the coin counting machines have created the large volume of skunks (or low producing boxes)? :icon_scratch:

Okay, I don't know which is better. Just thought I would start a new thread on the topic.

Upvote 0

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to reroll because there isn't a single bank with a coin counter around me. Even If I had the option to use a coin counter, I don't think I would just because of the chances that my money would be counted incorrectly.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive dumped in the coin counting machine since I've started this hobby. only been shorted a few times. never on quarters never on halves. only nickels dimes and cents. it seems to go in both directions though. so i might lose a buck or two with dimes counted as cents or i might get a few bucks with cents counted as nickels.

as far as it diluting the silver i feel it makes it a better shot at getting silver. the hopper goes round and round mixing and mixing up the grandma silver. if your just getting repacked dumps there is no chance of the grandma silver landing in those rolls.

Someone on here said its like passing a bag of clad around a room and when the silver falls out of the sky who ever holding the bag gets the silver. If your coins never hit the hopper they never will see silver. just my two cents

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a note, none of my dump banks send out machine-wrapped rerolls, or customer-wrapped rolls. The tellers must first empty the rolls loose into $500 or $1,000 bags before shipped. A job they just relish!

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
When I was going through cents hard, I would reroll and take between $40-50 to the coin counter at a Huntington branch. I would reroll around $100-$150 a week depending on how much I went through. I must say the pros of the coin counter is well you don't have to roll the coin obviously, but there machine is in the back and I gave them 4000-5000 coins at a time and I would always have to wait a day or two for the tellers to get the time to run them through the machine and get the cash credited to my account. The rerolling isn't all that bad because I use a plastic tube with an overflow slot, and every time I have counted a roll that might be short or over it was been 50 every time. I was really fast, wrapping a $25 box in about 30 minutes. There aren't many pros to rerolling with cents to be honest. I do it because I have to. Otherwise the one bank with the counter would shut out my account if I was giving the $150-$200 a week in cents.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Just a note, none of my dump banks send out machine-wrapped rerolls, or customer-wrapped rolls. The tellers must first empty the rolls loose into $500 or $1,000 bags before shipped. A job they just relish!

I suspect some of the tellers do indeed relish that job, as it gives them a chance to glance through the rolls as they're doing so, something they might not otherwise have time or be allowed to do.

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm with fistfulladirt.... The tellers I deal with at my dump banks absolutely will not accept loose coin. They count the rolls when I turn them in to verify that there are indeed 50 rolls in each box, then later they unroll everything into a Coinlok bag. Brinks/Garda/whomever then picks the bags up on their scheduled delivery runs (which is twice a week for most branches). I've offered to spare them the hassle of unrolling by giving them my dumps in bags... but thus far they've all said the same thing: they can't accept them loose.

Makes me a bit envious of people who can use bags... I'm sure the tellers I deal with would like it as well.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone on here said its like passing a bag of clad around a room and when the silver falls out of the sky who ever holding the bag gets the silver. If your coins never hit the hopper they never will see silver. just my two cents

That was me. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Not all do though, I have been at the counter lately when I bring in my boxes and have watched the tellers just take them and dump the rolls right into the bags, I asked if they are going to unroll them and they said nope, we just send them out like this, now I have other branches that do unroll them and then put them in the bags, It just depends on how they do it, apparently everything seems to be dif from branch to branch anymore. HH, Maverick.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Not all do though, I have been at the counter lately when I bring in my boxes and have watched the tellers just take them and dump the rolls right into the bags, I asked if they are going to unroll them and they said nope, we just send them out like this, now I have other branches that do unroll them and then put them in the bags, It just depends on how they do it, apparently everything seems to be dif from branch to branch anymore. HH, Maverick.
All my tellers absolutely hate to unwrap rolls and most of them don't care about silver, they offer it up to whoever asks for it. Some openly moan and groan when I walk in w/$500 worth of dimes...I know that Loomis takes loose coin in bags here, I've never seen solid rolls shipped out but I'm sure it's done.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin counter bags allow you to have full collections, like CWR vs. boxes where the collection is spread out.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am absolutely going to incorporate more bag hunting into my weekly routine. I want that collection dump direct!

Half Hunter

Jan 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be better if every bank had machines and only took rolls of up to 100$, everything over through the machine. Take the snipping tellers out of the picture. Most of the machines around here dont have bags, one giant box with all coins mixed together, they roll the box out and throw a new one in, again no chance for stickey hand tellers. I drop 6-8 bags a week at one branch, They showed me how to fill out the info myself on the bag, and do a cash exchange on the spot. Another bank, gets 4 boxes a week, and one other 2, I know for sure those 2 just unroll and bag then send them off. The rest of my boxes I just free dump between usually 3-4 branches, Im certain they just dump into bags and send off. Only ever got one sealed box with repacked coins in it, in over 550 boxes, and it was some different machine wrappers then iv ever seen.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a new re-rolling hiccup yesterday. I brought my $500 worth of halves and $100 in dimes to the counter at a new dump bank. Asked to cash them in, she said I needed an account, so I said I wanted to open one, she said okay...now I need you to write your name and phone number on the side of each roll...uhggg...I considered saying no thanks and walking out but I did it anyway...so...don't call and curse me out after you receive my re-rolls in your sealed box :).

By the way, at one of my pickup banks, I had a teller set aside three rolls of halves for me. I was so excited until I got in the car and saw some writing on the side which looked vaguely familiar...it was 71-72, 73-74, and 76...in my handwriting. It was part of my first dump when I had actually arranged all the halves by date and re-rolled and labeled them...double uhggg... So, somebody picked up my dump at my dump bank and deposited them at one of my pickup banks...oh well.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a teller set aside three rolls of halves for me. I was so excited until I got in the car and saw some writing on the side which looked vaguely familiar...it was 71-72, 73-74, and 76...in my handwriting. It was part of my first dump when I had actually arranged all the halves by date and re-rolled and labeled them...double uhggg... So, somebody picked up my dump at my dump bank and deposited them at one of my pickup banks...oh well.

This is something most new people don't grasp. You will get your coins back, even if they go to a different branch. I am not saying that you should use the same branch to dump and pickup, but many people think that once you've searched through some coins, you will not get them back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread