Getting the Other Half Involved

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually I do the household food shopping by myself on Sundays.
Well today we had somewhere to go early and we did the shopping together on the way home.
While at one of the local food stores, I was using the self check out.
Unbeknownst to me the wife went over to coin star machine and checked it out.
I was still scanning our order when she said, "Look what I found."
Looking, I could see it was a silver dime. I then told her those machines expel silver.
That Roosevelt dime became #6076. I'm trying to put together a $1000 bag of Roosevelts.

Upvote 0

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually I do the household food shopping by myself on Sundays.
Well today we had somewhere to go early and we did the shopping together on the way home.
While at one of the local food stores, I was using the self check out.
Unbeknownst to me the wife went over to coin star machine and checked it out.
I was still scanning our order when she said, "Look what I found."
Looking, I could see it was a silver dime. I then told her those machines expel silver.
That Roosevelt dime became #6076. I'm trying to put together a $1000 bag of Roosevelts.

My wife asked the grocery store manager what bank picks up the coin star. We didn't realize that Coinstar was its own entity. Oh well, I was hoping to hit whatever bank was picking up the coin. It was neat to see my wife get involved even though I know she lost interest after the first $500 half skunk.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It's nice to get your better half involved in roll hunting. My wife really doesn't care for coins, but over the last few years has brought home the following:

-Mutiple solid rolls of 40% halves
-56 solid rolls of wheats (all in one shot)
-solid roll of steel wheats
-silver dimes
-silver nickels

She hasn't brought much home lately, but I still love her!

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife will often open half rolls with me. It's best to get the other half hooked :-)

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never get my wife to admit it but I can just tell she starting to get into it

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife asked the grocery store manager what bank picks up the coin star. We didn't realize that Coinstar was its own entity. Oh well, I was hoping to hit whatever bank was picking up the coin.

Brinks services them, and Coinstar rejects silver.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife will often open half rolls with me. It's best to get the other half hooked :-)

Mine just waits until she sees a box with an ender... Then she decides to develop an interest in the hobby.. Funny... She is never there when I am searching skunk after skunk lol..

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine just waits until she sees a box with an ender... Then she decides to develop an interest in the hobby.. Funny... She is never there when I am searching skunk after skunk lol..

A couple times I loaded a silver dime ir half into a skunk roll just so she could find something and get excited! It also helped to make sure she was actually checking the coins and not just throwing into the bucket!

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my wife pick up an order I had at a bank she has to visit anyway for work. Other than that, I just have her keep her eyes on the coins in her registers at Starbucks. She helps with opening rolls sometimes, but not as often as I would like.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you saying you have 6,076 silver dimes?

That is nice, how long did that take to put together?

OP
OP
P

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you saying you have 6,076 silver dimes?

That is nice, how long did that take to put together?

Actually it is up to 6,078, I went through some CWR's yesterday and found two more.
Been collecting coins for 50+ years. A few years ago when silver was $6 - $8 an ounce,
I had the coin shop I dealt with send me $200 in 90% coins every two weeks.
Still have it all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread