ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They made some non-silver nickels in 1942. Yours aren't silver.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found 2 1942 nicks in 2 fed boxes they have no mint mark above dome but look identical to marked war nicks.were some 42s in silver not marked????
War nickels will always have the mint mark above the dome. As ArkisBassMan said 1942 was the only year where both silver and non silver coins were minted.

If they are worn real bad it is possible I guess that the mint mark was worn off.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I have 45 of those 1942 plain nickels. No silver at all. Just an old nickel. But a nice find. :-)

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the fast response,did get a nice 42p today in coinlock bag of $200 along with a dead (no date) buffalo

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if there are any missing mintmark 42 silvers out there (or 42 plains struck on silver planchets). Would be a pretty sweet error.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War nickels will always have the mint mark above the dome. As ArkisBassMan said 1942 was the only year where both silver and non silver coins were minted.

If they are worn real bad it is possible I guess that the mint mark was worn off.

Came across a '42 S (I think it was a '42--at work now so can't double check) where the S was so worn it was barely visable, but definately there. Might want to break out the ol' loop just for the hell of it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions