Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you tip them off about silver? thats odd

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why I never call up, I just show up and take them all. Calling and asking is like saying "I want silver, give me silver!" and then giving the tellers time to snipe prior to your arrival.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are halves, maybe the teller doesn't know to snipe the 40% halves. I also would consider buying a small amount like this to prove that I am a collector, and not just out for silver.

OP
OP
jd750707

jd750707

Mar 4, 2013
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Never mentioned Silver to them, it was over a year ago when I got some rolls from them.... and your right, they could be missing the 40%er's

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just called a local Chase bank where I have scored silver rolls in the past... Lady puts me on hold comes back and says they have $100 in rolls but if your looking for Silver, your out of luck.... :icon_scratch:

Buy them I have bought rolls with NO SILVER written on the side and low and behold what did I find? You got it Silver

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I never call. I just go buy. And if I know there is no silver, it does not matter. I don't want them thinking I am looking for the silver. I want them thinking I am looking for all halves. this way, if ifn the future they get soime, they immediately think of me. And if they have no silver, oh well. I am branding my name on all halves. Eventually it comes to my favor. So don't call. Just walk in, ask for all they have, and even if you know it is somebody else's dump., act excited that they had halves for you and take them. they like getting rid of them, and they will start to like you more and more. Building that relationship is important in the long haul.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at a bank this winter and got $180 in halves from them.

Teller said they had all been gone through though.

I got one solid roll of 40 percents and 37 total.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never call. I just go buy. And if I know there is no silver, it does not matter. I don't want them thinking I am looking for the silver. I want them thinking I am looking for all halves. this way, if ifn the future they get soime, they immediately think of me. And if they have no silver, oh well. I am branding my name on all halves. Eventually it comes to my favor. So don't call. Just walk in, ask for all they have, and even if you know it is somebody else's dump., act excited that they had halves for you and take them. they like getting rid of them, and they will start to like you more and more. Building that relationship is important in the long haul.

yep, I take any and all that is offered. I want to be known as the guy who will buy anything off ya. I mean, what have I got to lose? it's worked before. that's how you get people to hang onto stuff for you. Plus, like he said, If i buy everything, not just silver, it doesn't register to them exactly what I'm after, just that I'm a coin collector (which I am!)

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, saying "no silver" doesn't mean anything

ok to finish that. Saying "no silver" means there is nothing in there that they think is silver. this differs depending on the person. To some people, it's pre-1970 and you're out of luck. to some, it's 64 and before and you can still find 40%ers. to some it's pre-50, or pre-40. to some, it's random dates like "oh, they made silver coins in '52 and '54 right?" I've heard it all, literally 1/5 people know exactly what coins are silver and which aren't. that is not an exaggeration.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went stopped by a bank next to mine today to ask for halves. She said yeah we have a few, but if you are looking for silver they are already picked out. I said np, i just really enjoy spending them and getting odd looks and questions if they are real or not. I bought 10 dollars worth, 4 were 40% silver. One had a hole drilled in it for wearing as a necklace or something, said she had looked at it for a while and showed other tellers and everybody made fun of her for having to keep it til she counts out for the night. It was a 1967, she was happy i took the "ugly one" also lol.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just called a local Chase bank where I have scored silver rolls in the past... Lady puts me on hold comes back and says they have $100 in rolls but if your looking for Silver, your out of luck.... :icon_scratch:

:hello: Go get them anyway. They may have some 40's in them if nothing else. If not, you can still use them. I just stop at the bank & ask for half dollars, I never call because it gives them a chance to snipe them. By the way, welcome to TNET & good luck.

HH
Gary

OP
OP
jd750707

jd750707

Mar 4, 2013
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to stop and get them, I'll keep you posted if I find anything

Top Member Reactions