Snow Day!

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took off of work with the forecast calling for snow all day. Take it easy, play it safe, clean up the apartment maybe...or go bank hopping!

IMG_1399.JPG

I tried a new bank and stumbled across 200 Eisenhower dollars. Clad jackpot. No silver. After I get some time to look for varieties, I'll finally get to try selling some of these monstrosities for a premium on Craigslist.

IMG_1402.JPG

I tried a new tactic and bought a $1,000 bag of quarters. That netted me my first silver quarter found in the wild - a 1960D (pictured below)! Also found a 1995 Polish 1 złoty coin in that bag.

IMG_1400.JPG

I tried the tried and true tactic of asking the teller for halves. She gave me $300 MWR. That netted me three clad proofs - 1976, 1979, and 1988.

IMG_1398.JPG

I tried good old fashioned CRH with boxes of halves that I had ordered. My order was for two boxes, but a bonus third box was also mine for the taking. The first box netted me my first Benny - a 1960D as well! Also found a 40% 1967 Kennedy (not pictured) in the same box. The other two boxes were skunks. It felt great to see that white-white edge and finally get my hands on another 90% silver half dollar, as it had been about a month and a half since I found my last one.

In addition, I also had my first experience with a bank's coin counter reject bin. The counter ran out of paper for the receipt, so the teller came over to fix it. When she opened the machine, she picked off some coins that had stuck to the magnet and threw them in the removable reject bin. I told her I'd be interested in taking any and everything that was in that bin. She dumped it in my hand and I immediately regretted it. All manner of dust, lint, pills, and thumbtacks rested in my hand...in addition to about $1 in clad, a few Canadians, one Mexican, and a gold-colored angel nurse pin.

Fun stuff...and way better than working or dusting the apartment!

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta love them ikes. i says it once and ima say it again, ike is, and always will be the 'king of clads'.

GDS61019-F.jpg

88-168-a.jpg

good goin on the quater to, I've been hitting them hard past couple of weeks. The first silver quarter-dollar is a feeling like no other, would you not agree?

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fif - the quarter feeling was admittedly a little tempered, as I had acquired my first silver Washington quarter from a co-worker just a week prior. Granted, I paid $4 for it...but still an awesome coin. The Franklin half gave me quite a rush though!
I also just put together my Craiglist ad for the Ikes. Trying $2/each in 100 lots to start, but I'm really expecting $1.50/each.

jd750707

Mar 4, 2013
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I havent hit Ikes in a while, last time my credit union said she had them in back, since they dont use cash drawers now... Next time they brought three rolls out..had never seen an Ike wrapper roll before!! Congrats !

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks JD. This was my second huge Ike score. My previous one was 90. One of these days it will be a large silver score!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1 zloty is nice, I have family in Poland so I go every other year. I brought a huge change jar of Polish groszy (equivalent of cent/penny), and dumped them at a supermarket at a self-checkout line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread