Kennedy Hunt

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my first time posting on this site...since I found it today ;) I have been searching for kennedy's a lot lately and like MANY of you just started ordering them from my local bank. Got my first order in last week, $2000 worth...NOTHING FOUND. Got $1000/$2000 today and NOTHING in those (2) $500 boxes...hoping for better luck tomorrow with my second batch of (2) $500 boxes. Im not discouraged though and told my bank to up my order to $4000 a week, LOL. I have been Dime roll hunting for the past 2-3 months and so far have found 102 silver dimes...got one roll of ALL 1955D's...needless to say I bought every single roll of nickels dimes and quarters they had in their vault, resulted in (3) war nickels.

My question for all you kennedy hunters is what is the average? Would you say 1 40%er in every 2 boxes or so? From what I have been reading that seems to be about right. Oh...and my bank gets their coins from the Atlanta Fed...just an FYI. Are any of you getting your Kennedys from the ATL fed and if so, are you having better luck them my ZERO out of 6 boxes?

Upvote 0

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first time posting on this site...since I found it today ;) I have been searching for kennedy's a lot lately and like MANY of you just started ordering them from my local bank. Got my first order in last week, $2000 worth...NOTHING FOUND. Got $1000/$2000 today and NOTHING in those (2) $500 boxes...hoping for better luck tomorrow with my second batch of (2) $500 boxes. Im not discouraged though and told my bank to up my order to $4000 a week, LOL. I have been Dime roll hunting for the past 2-3 months and so far have found 102 silver dimes...got one roll of ALL 1955D's...needless to say I bought every single roll of nickels dimes and quarters they had in their vault, resulted in (3) war nickels.

My question for all you kennedy hunters is what is the average? Would you say 1 40%er in every 2 boxes or so? From what I have been reading that seems to be about right. Oh...and my bank gets their coins from the Atlanta Fed...just an FYI. Are any of you getting your Kennedys from the ATL fed and if so, are you having better luck them my ZERO out of 6 boxes?

Credit Unions have close to zero use for half dollars except for maybe around Easter and Christmas when people might ask for them to give to kids. I you are dumping 1000s halves on them in a month and they are not a pretty large CU you are an expense to them much more so than the average member. You cannot expect them to be happy about it. Look for a larger bank other than Wells with multiple branches and spread the dumps out a cross the branches.

It is not as convenient of course but it might very well keep you in business a lot longer. I dump halves at 5 different branch locations and I do no volume compared to a lot of people here. However I do not make that big of an impact at anyone location.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most credit unions i have seen don't order much coin from brinks, loomis, etc... they depend largely on coins they get from customers and ship off any excess to a main branch to hold and then the main branch ships their excess off to brinks, loomis, etc... I pick up some Quarters, dimes, nickels sometimes at a credit union and always make sure to let them know i don't want to leave them short, also ask if they want the coins back rolled or prefer not to have them back (this has always been their answer). By doing this they save money, because they now don't have to transfer the money to their main branch (I have even offered to deliver it to their main branch rolled and they say "no need, they have plenty there". Now when i go into this branch even to do normal banking they ask me if i would take some coins off their hands, and they always call me when they get some halves. Be kind and adjust a little to make it easy on any bank or credit union and they appreciate the sentiment since most customers treat them like crap and talk down to them, you would be amazed how much further it will get you.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
my bank is a credit union

It's not a bank, then. A credit union is a credit union, something different than a bank. Also, you don't get your halves from the Fed. The tellers will say that, but they come from coin couriers, who may occasionally buy from the Fed if their supply is low.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
With the amount I am ordering ($4000 per week) I have a feeling they will need to order from the Fed soon enough!

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With the amount I am ordering ($4000 per week) I have a feeling they will need to order from the Fed soon enough!

You have to remember that even though you are ordering a set amount weekly from them, they are receiving on deposit (other's dumps) probably much more than you are ordering. It would probably take multiple high volume hunters (20+ boxes per week) before they would have to order from the Fed.

Also, we have heard of Brinks selling a pallet of halves to Garda / or vice-versa, so they might never actually order from the Fed.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta be smart so you don't cut any of your bridges, you will need these banks in the long run. The more aggressive you are at one branch the more likely you will have to go searching for another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread