Possible Key Date.....

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Curious as to how many of you have found a key date coin but were unsure until they turned it over to look at the mint mark. I found a 1916 Mercury dime and very slowly turned it over.... No D....darn!!!

For those of you that have had a similar experience did you immediately flip it over or did you wait a while and slowly turn it over. I saw a post recently of someone who found a 1909S and wondered how slowly they turned that over looking for the VDB

MU

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting since the 1970's and have yet to dig a 1916 Merc. In my mind, I say I'm going to wait until I get home to check for the "D". In reality, I bet that if/when it happens, I'll be unable to wait more than the time it takes me to flip the coin.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a 1931 penny today while dumping, i looked it over a few times for an s mint mark sadly their wasn't one.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a '50 Jefferson a while back & said to myself "come on, show me a D!" Flipped it over & sure enough, it was there! I know it's not an expensive coin, but they are tough to find. It's the same thing you do when you're playing video poker & you get dealt 3 of a kind. You hold the three cards, torture yourself for about a minute or so, then hit the DEAL button "show me the fourth ace!"

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've dug several 1916 mercs, no D yet. Last year my detecting bud dug a '16 D, lucky sumbum.
My best find was 1938D key Walker that I bought from a line teller.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a 1899 O Barber half in nice condition in CWR, took me 2 weeks to look it up, sold to LCS for $100

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread