all these penny finds lately..

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me or is a lot of over the top and amazing penny / cent finds are going on right now, I'm wondering if this is an initiative for people lessen half dollar searching. Its probably completely innocent or people are turning to sorting through copper because of the lack of silver finds? Either way pretty amazing, going to stick to halves and occasional penny boxes myself.

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Great cent finds around here this week. I doubt it is a way to distract from halves searching.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
With all the cent finds lately I turned to cent rolls today. I got $3 worth of cents from WalMart...nothing! That's it, I'm going back to halves!

Last edited:

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there is at least one of us that hardly does halves anymore, and has turned to pennies. I do get some dime boxes here and there and the occasional half dollar box...I think I'm on a 15 box skunk streak, but I do have 15 rolls left of this weekends box. I cull copper and all the nice specimans that come with pennies. They are just more fun than a bunch of skunks. Every roll is a winner, and every coper penny i save I just more than 2x times my money in a pm savings. Not much but I think copper will share in the boom that is coming, and i got lucky and got in Ag early:thumbsup:

I am also working on my Lincoln Warhol. Many uses......

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a result of flagging silver finds plus the smaller bankrolls of low volume crhers. At least it won't freak the banks out...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stop being paranoid... this site isn't specifically geared toward half dollar hunters, why doubt the authenticity of the great penny finds?

"[h=1]Forum: Coin Roll Hunting[/h]A great way to find old coins is to purchase rolls of coins from banks. Misstrikes, silver, proof, even rare coins can be found. Post your "Roll Hunting" experiences and questions here"

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I've upped my pennies over the last few weeks too.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there is at least one of us that hardly does halves anymore, and has turned to pennies. I do get some dime boxes here and there and the occasional half dollar box...I think I'm on a 15 box skunk streak, but I do have 15 rolls left of this weekends box. I cull copper and all the nice specimans that come with pennies. They are just more fun than a bunch of skunks. Every roll is a winner, and every coper penny i save I just more than 2x times my money in a pm savings. Not much but I think copper will share in the boom that is coming, and i got lucky and got in Ag early:thumbsup:

I am also working on my Lincoln Warhol. Many uses......

http://www.treasurenet.com/url?sa=i...meblTsjgnBJ8NLGjGuftCCZg&ust=1363043666202092

Awesome floor and good choice staking copper I'm getting a ryedale soon!

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the penny is produced in such a mass amount that the chances of a real winner still turning up in circulation is very possible!!! I can see an influx in awesome finds if there has been an influx in penny hunters lately,Just my two cents.

HH John

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the penny is produced in such a mass amount that the chances of a real winner still turning up in circulation is very possible!!! I can see an influx in awesome finds if there has been an influx in penny hunters lately,Just my two cents.

HH John

I completely agree with you on that!

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a neighbor who has been a serious coin collector for 40 years who says old timers sometimes try to spur interest in the hobby by releasing some of thier duplicate or lower graded coins into circulation - "seeding the clouds" is the phrase he used. He told me this because when I first started CRH I was finding some very rare cents. After about 2 weeks they seemed to dry up and it's been just average since. I think it is more likely that some kid found Grandpa's collection and spent it at the toy store.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing several penny boxes lately. I fell like there is just a better chance of finding something more valuable. For example i just found a 1910 and a 1913 this weekend. Another plus is that they only get miscounted in a good way!

Chris819

Mar 9, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 2 Indian heads and a coin from 1834 Poland that is silver in pennies

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the hobby, and have posted several of my cent finds on here recently. I have two small children, and honestly I can not afford to purchase large quantities of halves on a routine basis. Pennies (cents) are fairly collectible, not for metal content (yet), but collectible none the less. Plus, $200 of pennies can keep the family busy for hours while my seven year old adds to his collectiin. Note - I will be picking up my first box of halves, dimes, and two boxes of nickles, compliments of my income tax return....thank you annual government loan!

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I forgot to add. I picked up a box of nickles this past week (Friday was payday). I found two buffalo nickles, one no date and one 1937, one V nickel (cant remember the date off the top of my head...maybe 1899?), and one war nickel. I was super excited about the V. I mean, how often would you find something like this in circulation if not for a hobby like CRH?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions