Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on a Little Hunt with Sleepy - 15 Banks/CU's

1st Bank: Dump

2nd Bank: Main Pick up Bank...out of halves! Nooooooo!!! Boxes are hard to come by where I live, so when my pick up bank tells me they're out of boxes...well, I go into hunter and gatherer mode.

3rd location: "We don't do halves here." haha...okay.

4th location: "Awesome! I've been waiting for someone to come and get these rolls! Do you want them all? You can buy them all or just a few of them? I have $260 worth!" So I got $260 in CWR. Went out to the car. Every coin faced the same direction. That was nice of the dumper. :laughing7: Not even an NIFC left. :thumb_down:

5th location: $3.50 from teller trays...nada.

6th location: Man, this place was very easy to miss. I went in there and it was a lady in her 40's and a lady in her 60's with a british accent...in the entire bank! I said "Do you guys have any fifty cent pieces today?" as was recommended by a TNet member a few weeks back. The lady in her 40's said, "Oh, I have one dollar's worth. Do you want that?" I told her yes. Right as I'm about to walk out the British woman speaks up "I think we have some more if you want that. It's in the vault. It's a ten dollar roll. Do you want that?" Um...yes! So I got it out to the car...Solid 40%'s! :hello2: Looks like it's been sitting in their vault since November. I've seen people posting about this kinda stuff, but it's really exciting when it happens to you.

7th location: none. "Someone bought them all last week."

8th location: none. "We don't carry those here."

9th location: $100 MWR's - found an NIFC that I didn't have.

10th location: "So do collect halves? Like are you a coin collector?" I tell him yes. "We don't order halves, but we do get some customers bringing them in. If you want I could set them aside for you." :headbang: I'm like "uh...yeah. That would work. Should I give you my number or is it better for me to come in often?" "Whatever's best for you, sir." "Okay, my number is..." Awesome! We'll have to see how this lead pans out.

11th location: Had about $5 in halves. "Are you looking for pre-70 halves cause don't those have silver?" I told him I collected 'S' coins as well. I don't want to be typecasted as a silver hound. They let me see them and decline purchasing them.

12th location: none. "We have gold dollars." ha! Right...

13th location: none. Offered me gold dollars as well.

14th location: none. "You should come back because we do get some in once in a while." okay!

15th location: none. This bank actually offered to order boxes for me...rare in these here parts. I investigated the account requirements. $200 minimum balance in the bank to keep from getting the $5 monthly fee. $200 is a lot to tie up. hmmm...have to think on this one.

Below are pics of my first solid roll...Thanks for taking part in my adventure today. Sleepy out!:sleepy2:

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg pic5.jpg pic6.jpg pic7.jpg

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations,
I think you should invest the 200$ into the bank account, and take all the boxes from the bank you can, dimes, halves, everything!
Good luck
wicka

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loved the write up, good job and pretty funny stuff, you capture what really goes on in CRH..Sweet solid roll, those block rolls always pan out for me whenever I find them (rarely ever)!! Im going to try saying "fifty cent pieces" in the coming days, who knows maybe I will get some better results, anywho Thanks for sharing!

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
200 is reasonable I agree on starting account there will end up saving you gas by the sounds of it.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we had a very similar day, but I didn't find a solid roll! Nice work!!!

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might just have to have $200 in there for the first of the month. Maybe after that, you can dip below. Maybe set it up to direct deposit a work check. Even if you got hit with the $5/month fee, you could still probably get 2 box a week... less than $1/box

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open the account, dude. I did this with a bank that has a coin counter in some branches, and will order halves for me at the others. It is all part of playing the game, and those bank cards in your wallet are your chips; use them well, use them often. Worst case scenario, you can always cancel the account.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love a solid roll...congrats:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Sleepy Holow

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. Sounds like most people think the $200 investment is worth it. I think I'll check into it a little more to figure out how long I have to be at $200 and how long I have to have the account open to avoid an account closing fee.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed the narrative. I had a similar experience last week minus the solid roll.

OP
OP
Sleepy Holow

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Enjoyed the narrative. I had a similar experience last week minus the solid roll.

That's what makes the hunt so fun...you're always one roll away from having a really good day. :occasion14: Here's to another day! (And YES...I know it's a little early to be toasting :laughing7:)

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thread!

Sweet solid roll too!

I would also suggest(in reference to #11) also say you are looking for error coins... try to avoid saying silver as much as possible... but IMHO you should have bought those 5$ worth instead of looking through and declining... but to each his own :)

HH

OP
OP
Sleepy Holow

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice thread!

Sweet solid roll too!

I would also suggest(in reference to #11) also say you are looking for error coins... try to avoid saying silver as much as possible... but IMHO you should have bought those 5$ worth instead of looking through and declining... but to each his own :)

HH

Thanks for the advice, Info. I'm open to getting as much as possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread