Half dollar stamp error

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Managed to score a $300 bag from a bank while on a little road trip. No silver but did find this stamping error. Not as cool as silver but still neat.

ForumRunner_20130312_183018.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130312_182919.png
    ForumRunner_20130312_182919.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 318
Upvote 0

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I don't understand what the value is here. It looks like someone at a metal shop put it in a press and stamped out a bit of the coin. How does someone defacing the currency like this increase the value? Please tell me so I can make some and start making some money.

A genuine clipped planchet will exhibit diagnostics that can't be faked by someone in a metal shop. The process of a clipped planchet occurs prior to minting when the blank planchets are being punched from the strip of metal. When the strip of metal is not fed properly, the subsequent punch produces a planchet with part of the metal missing from the prior planchet. The defective planchet is then struck with the resulting diagnostics. The immediate area bordering the clipped area will exhibit weakness in the design/lettering caused by the metal flow not being restricted by the collar. The other is known as the Blakesley Effect. The area directly opposite the clipped area will exhibit weakness in strike and a flat rim.

With this knowledge, check the OP's photos and you will see what I'm referencing.

OP
OP
B

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Thank you Diver. I was a little taken back by everyone's accusations that it was faked. Especially after I mentioned that I had taken it to a coin shop just to verify I was correct.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I wasn't accusing you of it being fake. I just didn't understand what the value was, because it looked like it could be something that could done after minting to me.

Thank you for the explanation Diver.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I get so much crap in my rolls! I can make 10 halfs just like the one you found in 10 min. Is it real?? How can you tell? I find halfs hollow holes drilled in them sanded down gold plated understand what am saying. I found a 1964 two headed. And I find this crap EVERY week. Am not trying to be a party pooper its to easy to fake? I hope yours is real have fun and good luck.

You can tell this way:

Curved Clips

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread