first hunt of 2007

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
My boxes don't come in until Thurs. but the addiction was calling so I went out and hit 5 banks on one of my regular circuits. Total halves found $85. Nothing from 4 of the banks but the 5th was a score. Out of $37, I found 28 40%ers and 1 1952 Ben. Now thats a ratio I can live with. Now if the rest of the year goes as well. ;D ;D

Ps: I also scored 23 Ikes from the same bank.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the first silver finds of 2007! If you keep up this pace you'll take in over 10,000 40%ers this year! :D

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first search of the year. Those are percentages we all wish for. My first hunt of the year, unfortunately, was less memorable.

Got skunked on a full box, for the first time, but did hit some other banks yesterday and picked up two 64s, two 65s, a 67 and twenty Ikes in loose change from the tellers.

Not a total loss, and I'll be getting a new box today or tomorrow.

Let the hunting continue.

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
goldinmypan said:
My boxes don't come in until Thurs. but the addiction was calling so I went out and hit 5 banks on one of my regular circuits. Total halves found $85. Nothing from 4 of the banks but the 5th was a score. Out of $37, I found 28 40%ers and 1 1952 Ben. Now thats a ratio I can live with. Now if the rest of the year goes as well. ;D ;D

Ps: I also scored 23 Ikes from the same bank.

Being new to this, I take it that you order a batch of half dollar rolls from the local banks and then sort them = :) correct. What is the average amount that you invest in this method and what is the average % that one finds a half older than a coin dated 1940. I'm just checking to see if this is something that I might want to try as i pass the time before the weather breaks and I can get my face wet (Diver). Also do I need to be a business to make this kind of a request from the banks ie asking for a 500.00 bag/box of halfs, do others look for the old silver dollars this way or is that a thing of the past.

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!! If my calculations are correct, with silver at a measly $12 per ounce, you scored over $50 just in silver. You are the man!!!

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Early '07 hunts

My second box of 2007 was a bit kinder than the goose egg I sustained with the first, and was just about the percentage of which I have typically found silver in rolled halves; about 2%.

The second box yielded a Walker (44p), Franklin (62d), 64p, 65x2, 66, 67x8, 68dx2 and 69dx5.

The quest continues................

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Re: Early '07 hunts

thurmownator said:
My second box of 2007 was a bit kinder than the goose egg I sustained with the first, and was just about the percentage of which I have typically found silver in rolled halves; about 2%.

The second box yielded a Walker (44p), Franklin (62d), 64p, 65x2, 66, 67x8, 68dx2 and 69dx5.

The quest continues................

I'm starting to see a trend here, the older coins are true silver and not the bi-metals that the current ones are - correct. Walker, Franklin, Ike ect... are the presidents and other great faces on the coins that are of interest to the collectors such as yourself. The only coins I ever looked at were the early pennies and nickles when I was a kid, never had the money to look at the halfs and dolloar coins.

DD

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
CRHing silver 101

Aside from whatever numismatic (collector) value a coin has, silver (and gold) coins also have bullion (investor) value.

US dimes and quarters and halves were 90% silver prior to 1965 (halves were still 40% silver from 65 - 70); hence the quest.

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
thurmownator said:
Aside from whatever numismatic (collector) value a coin has, silver (and gold) coins also have bullion (investor) value.

US dimes and quarters and halves were 90% silver prior to 1965 (halves were still 40% silver from 65 - 70); hence the quest.

Copy,

Thanks for the info, will go a get my first roll of halfs this Friday and see how it play's out.

DD

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Third box of '07 yielded:

62d (Franklin), 64px2, 65x3, 67x3, 68dx2.....and an '05p.

Only one percent success rate.............but it beats getting skunked.

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
When you state "Box", just how many coins are you taking about?

DD

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Half dollars come $500 (or 50 rolls of $10 each) for a total of 1000 halves per box.

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
MalteseFalcon said:
Just read through this forum, and you will learn everything you need to know.
:)

MalteseFalcon

Actually I did one better last night or early this morning, went to EBay and checked out all the different halves out there and now know what your talking about. Todays plan to is to hit a couple banks in the area and see what they have to offer. Will follow up with what I find.

Don

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
I take it that any coin that is dated beyond 1971 isn't worth anything or is below the 40% silver content - Correct.

Don

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not totally true. There are die varieties many of us look for, such as the 1974D double die, 1973D double die and the 1977D double dies. I have also found 3 commemorative halves in my searches, 2 1986 and I forget the 3rd date. Also there are the impaired proofs which turn up time to time. Not to mention the occasional error. I have found one clip error and one strike thru error, a piece of metal was on the planchet when it was struck. I will try to get a picture of it downloaded, I am still not quite digital camera proficient yet.

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
There are die varieties many of us look for, such as the 1974D double die, 1973D double die and the 1977D double.

Basically your saying that the die hit the coin blank twice. I've been through a pile of coins today and have not come across anything like that. What I did find was close to $46 worth of the 1776-1976 halves after going through 32 rolls.

Don

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Expecting a cold rainy weekend, so picked up two boxes to sort through while watching football this weekend.

Also hit a few banks and picked up three - four hundred ($) in loose rolls. Those I've already sifted through:

67x3, 68d, a real nice BU 91p & 99p...........and an 86s commemorative half dollar; my first.

Oh yeah, pick up five Ikes as well.

Hopefully the boxes will be more fruitful. Stay tuned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread