Penny Playground

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a little something I've been working on this past week. My coworkers have nicknamed it the penny playground:)
The first pic is the cad drawing i made up and the rest of the pics are progress so far.

Coins will go straight from the roll to the top ryedale hopper. I will do a zinc accept with sensitivity set fairly high. I have 30 old coins that normally would end up in the dumps with sensitivity down low. Turn it up till those coins are rejected on the zinc sort. That does cause a good number of zincs to be rejected as well but I think maybe 1/6 of all zincs end up rejected and going to second sort.

The rejects from zinc sort go right into the second ryedale hopper for a copper accept sort. Sensitivity turned low. Now i only have to look through one gallon of dump coins to find the old/ cool/ foriegn etc. I know some folks dont like running coins through twice but for me and my schedule its what makes sense. Kick most of the zincs into the blue pail right away and those do not need to be looked through again.

The purple pail is the copper keepers i can look through when time permits and the green pail is where the good stuff is.

Maybe this will help return our talk to the hunt. I will post more pictures as progress is made. Right now I have to get back to fabricating on the Penny Playground.

Have a good day everybody!!

CR WP_000296.jpg WP_000297.jpg WP_000299.jpg WP_000298.jpg

Upvote 0

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking of building something like that myself!!! Cool idea, i see your in minnesota, i would love to see the machine. What are you hoping to find in the third bin?

OP
OP
C

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
The third bin will contain mostly zinc with the occasional IH, Old wheat, dimes, foreign coins etc.
Not sure what I could build the main frame setup for. I will look into that once this one is done.

I am going to incorporate some boxes and tubes for sorting storing wheats, IHs, foreign, Candains 2 or 3 boxes for these. A roll opening station as well as a couple other goodies.

I am located north of the twin cities area and south of Mille Lacs.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They need to come with a dual comparator Rydel, with this stuff built in...

VERY KOOL!

OP
OP
C

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
WP_000302.jpg WP_000303.jpg WP_000304.jpg

Couple more pics of progress. Gonna start cutting and welding the next stainless slides next.

Thanks for the good words!

CR

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
Ran 7 boxes and its working pretty well. Before, I was using the red rydale for the zinc sort and i seemed to be able to tune it in a little better. I was getting 75% of the zinc out with the red one. Now it seems to be a 50/50 split. Still alot better than searching all the zinc quick scan style. I might switch it around, I'll see.

Contamination prevention cover is nice to have. Makes a good tray for the pail to open rolls into. More work left to do but its functional. I'll get back to it this week, I've got coins to sort, and more coming tuesday.

HH

CR WP_000306.jpg WP_000307.jpg WP_000308.jpg WP_000309.jpg WP_000310.jpg

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thread. I'll enjoy reading about the progress and hopefully the awesome finds!

OP
OP
C

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased a used apprentice and a new automaxx. The automaxx is on top. I have searched about 75 boxes since I started a month ago. I have found a fair number of cool old coins as well as a decent ratio of copper. No exact figures yet but it's worth it. Picking up and dumping are getting the kinks worked out. Trying to negotiate bags. I'll post some find pictures when I have time.

Happy Hunting everybody

CR

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The third bin will contain mostly zinc with the occasional IH, Old wheat, dimes, foreign coins etc.
Not sure what I could build the main frame setup for. I will look into that once this one is done.

I am going to incorporate some boxes and tubes for sorting storing wheats, IHs, foreign, Candains 2 or 3 boxes for these. A roll opening station as well as a couple other goodies.

I am located north of the twin cities area and south of Mille Lacs.

you may be aware of this, or this may be outdated/incorrect information (since I don't use a Ryedale), but I've heard you should calibrate it to reject zincs, instead of calibrating it to accept coppers. that way you don't miss a lot of the other stuff

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much do you normally feed this machine or plan to feed this machine in the future, on a daily basis?

I remember an article posted on here where the guy was literally sling loading thousands in cents from a repository and sorting out the copper from the zinc.
The returns were sling loaded back to the repository for counting and credit. Had a buyer that was paying 2X face and sending overseas I believe.
Ocean cotainers packed to the rim. I believe they were being melted out of the USA and turned into copper but he was shut down after several months
of doing it. Had pictures, video and description of his entire process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread