Canadian hunting

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I did do a very small test - 1 quarter roll and 2 dime rolls just to see what it was like to go into Canadian banks with US dollars, etc. First thing I noticed is the rolls are considerably smaller than US rolls as the coins are thinner. Second, I was surprised - and I guess I shouldn't have been, that there were US coins in there. I did snag one silver canadian dime (1963) so was pleasantly surprised.

However, the whole time suck (45-60 mins each way) of going across the border and back was a pain. I wasn't totally convinced it would be worthwhile to make a frequent trip of it, and I live just 90 mins from the border.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I do cross into Canada every few months to dump Canadian coins and do some Canadian CRHing.
But there are costs, tolls for crossing ($9), extra time involved, and extra gas usage.
There is less silver in Canada circulating than the US. The Canadian government has been culling silver, copper and nickel for years.
I have found a few silver dimes but not worth the effort. Most Canadian dimes that I have found has been in US boxes/CRH.
The penny searching was amazing (lots of copper) but that has is mostly gone.
I have found lots of nickel 5 cents including older George V (1922-36) and George VI (1937-52).

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you folks straight up that the time of CRH Cents has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Canadian banks have been unauthorized to distribute any Cent pieces since Feb. 4th of this year. I live under an hour away from the border so I have to get my copper fix from US banks now. The 5 Cent pieces produce the best for more valuable metal content and older dates by far. Dimes produce the most silver. Quarters is a rough game with an average of about maybe 1 silver per every $10,000 or 20 boxes if your lucky. Don't forget the coinage here doesn't have the fancy colored rims to enable a quick visual search for the AG. The modern $1 and $2 coins are all clad and obviously a complete waste of time. If your going to CRH in Canada be prepared for a ton of US coins in the mix and make sure you have a good plan (Beer money eh?:laughing7:) to get rid of it. In an average roll of quarters there is usually at least 1 - 2 US quarters (sometimes 10 - 20) at the very minimum mixed in. This is just my experience CRH in Canada and I hope it helps everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread