Take a penny (cent), leave a penny protocol?

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
So I was visiting a place of business for my job today and approached the counter to talk to an employee. Like I'm sure all of us do, I glanced down at the coin container and saw wheat ears staring back at me. I spoke to the employee and walked away from the counter. I wanted to return and swap a zincoln for the wheatie but had nothing in my pocket. I sure wasn't going to walk to the car and grab a penny/cent and walk back in. The business wasn't busy so it wasn't like it would go unnoticed by employees.

Im just wondering what others have done if they see a keeper sitting in a "take a penny/leave a penny" container/tip jar?? I may start carrying around one of each denomination in my pocket just in case it happens again!

HH
bblair

Upvote 0

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
If its a penny (wheat) I don't bother. I've looked through thousands of dollars of pennies and know the odds of that one in there being a key date are slim and none.

If I saw a silver, I would offer to put 3-4x back in if I could take that one out. It's never happened though.

MU

Last edited:

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I would have gone to the car...haha. Stuff like that would have me wondering the rest of the day.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good CRHer is always prepared for just such a situation. Carry a handfull of change with you at all times.

With no coin(s) to swap, you did the right thing by leaving it IMO.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I allways stare at the coin containers ( help the what ever, take a penny leave a penny, donation cup) I haven't seen anything yet, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to ask if I could swap out somthing as long as it wasn't too much trouble, whats the worst they could say, no. HH, Maverick.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have always wondered about this. I figured I should just pick up the jar or what ever and pour it into my hand and look through them and then if I dont find anything I will put all back in the jar. If I were to find something just swap it out coin for coin. I havent done this just thought about it.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I allways stare at the coin containers ( help the what ever, take a penny leave a penny, donation cup) I haven't seen anything yet, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to ask if I could swap out somthing as long as it wasn't too much trouble, whats the worst they could say, no. HH, Maverick.

One of my cousins used to always say "They can't shoot you for asking; the worst you can get is a no."

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I walk up and take what I want. But then again I used to work at a gas station so I know there really isn't a protocol. Just grab it and next time you see that person drop your coins in their take a penny cup. We always used to empty the cup to pay for lunch. And if we seeded the cup with some silver people were more likely to drop 13 cents in instead of 3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a couple good scores from those penny trays. One of my best wheats (a '31D) came out of one. I also pulled a silver Roosie from a tip jar at a burger place once. I actually gave them $1 for it. They were cool with that.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once saw some IKE's in a donation bin at a local bank, I thought that was interesting... I have found wheats, but mostly canadian pennies in the give-a-penny bins, i don't really bother anymore, afterall, i get 12 wheats per box and all are common dates anyway.
hh

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good run of boxes, I'm lucky to get 6.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I saw a Silver Eagle in one of those animal cruelty boxes at the bank counter. Asked if they can open it and retrieve the coin for a 15$ upgrade from a dollar into the donation box, and they said that they don't have the key :(

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week I saw a Silver Eagle in one of those animal cruelty boxes at the bank counter. Asked if they can open it and retrieve the coin for a 15$ upgrade from a dollar into the donation box, and they said that they don't have the key :(

I look in those boxes always. Never found anything like that.

OP
OP
bblair

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Good feedback and stories guys. I've concluded I'm going to keep a few coins in my pocket just in case...

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look in those boxes always. Never found anything like that.

Another time last year there was a 64 Ken in the same type of box at another branch and I got the same story, but I only offered a dollar for the coin. I think people run their coin and if they get rejects then they put them in those donation boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions