Feb 27, 2013
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, it's just a '51 Rosie, but never thought to try CRH till I found myself at the bank writing checks.....figured I'd take a shot with $100 in dimes....
At least I got something, right? Might just do this every few weeks and take the "change" and exchange for eagles or maples leafs...;)

image-2958623113.jpg

Upvote 0

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, and welcome to the dark side of silver/coin collecting!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep it in junk silver form. Dealers will make a profit, and you will lose on exchanges for bullion.

OP
OP
CleenSweep

CleenSweep

Feb 27, 2013
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it in junk silver form. Dealers will make a profit, and you will lose on exchanges for bullion.

Would a coin shop even be interested in "modern " silvers? Is that what you mean by "junk form"? As opposed to trying to get the 2.5grams silver equivalent for it?

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats and welcome to the addiction!

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would a coin shop even be interested in "modern " silvers? Is that what you mean by "junk form"? As opposed to trying to get the 2.5grams silver equivalent for it?

Junk silver is a generic term applied to silver coins like the one you found. They have no numismatic value, just the value of the silver contained in them.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

The problem about exchanging up to bullion coins is that they cost a premium on top of their silver value. If you want to save coins for their silver value for the sake of saving precious metals, the "junk silver" category is nice because they are coins issued by a government with a known silver content - US are 40% or 90%. As long as it's not a key year (low mintage) or error coin, it's value is clearly based on the silver melt price. Dealers don't melt them down anymore because they can simply be sold since their PM content is a known amount, so you can buy or sell them at a price close to their silver content with no extra premium.

The flip side is if you decide to collect American Eagles or Canadian Maples those coins sell at a premium price over their silver. That price can vary by coin and mintage, but let's assume a silver value of $30/oz. You buy a 1 oz .999 fine silver bullion coin, but the dealer slaps on a premium of $4 - $6 per coin. You end up paying $34 - $36 per oz than if you would have bought "junk silver" that could have been acquired for melt value - $30 per oz.

If you find the 40% or 90% coins through CRHing and only pay face value, then want to trade up that is up to you. You would probably never recoup the cost of that extra $4 or $6 dealer premium if you later sell your PM's for profit. But if trading up and keeping 20 1oz .999 coins as compared to keeping 136 40% coins (to keep 20 oz) makes you happy, then that's of course fine also.

Some collect for numismatic value, and others as a pure numbers game to squeeze every cent value out of the silver that they acquired at face value. Personally I'm the type that likes to get silver at US face value and don't like paying $30+ per oz. To each one their own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread