This explains alot

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my bank today to try and exchange some canadian coin. It was a no go. I knew it would be but I was there anyway so I thought I would try. The teller I talked to is also the vault teller and I know her personally. So while we were talking about what to do with my canadian change, she tells me she finds alot of it in her rolls. Then she explains coin roll hunting to me and how easy it is for her since she is the vault teller! All the tellers in the bank keep any old or odd looking coins for her and she buys all the CWR that come in. That explains why I get lots of half dollars in change in my small town and have NEVER found a single silver.

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's better for you to know this. Eventually you find out you've got a sniper grabbing it up and then it's time to move on. Or start dumping on them.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone needs dump banks. The only problem with dump banks is by using it as a dump bank, you pretty much kill that bank as a buy bank. Back when I was filling a $1000 bag of halves weekly at 2 different dump banks, I was always wondering what else might be in that bag, even though I knew that most/all of the coins in the bag were my own dumps. You now have a dump bank that you do not have to worry about missing silver by dumping there. That isn't a horrible thing.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That explains why I get lots of half dollars in change in my small town and have NEVER found a single silver.

You actually get half dollars as change, wow I have not been given a half dollar without asking for it for at least 20 years I would say

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should explain alittle more. I'm a very small time crher and I live in a small town with only two banks. A couple times a year I ask for a couple hundred dollars worth of dimes or quarter rolls. Once every few years I ask for rolls of halves. Now I know why they have always had as many halves as I want, on hand. I've asked for customer wrapped rolls but they have never had any. When I'm in a neighboring town, I'll stop by a different branch of my bank and ask for customer wrapped rolls and Sometimes they have them. That has all been explained now too. With as little searching as I do, this doesn't effect me. I can still pick up CWR in neighboring towns and dump in my bank. It's never more than a couple hundred anyway, once or twice a year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread