Loose halves, Nickel Boxes and the Thrift Store that was a Dime Store

shredderz

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the highlights of my week:

First box of nickels: 1956 Proof, 1942-P War , worn date Buffalo

Loose and CWR from bank tellers, two different banks. The first bank sold me one roll and four loose. The roll contained three 40%. That was Tuesday.
Today, on a whim, I stopped at a different bank I've never been to. I only had $18 cash on me. I asked the teller if he had any halves. He said he had rolls and loose. So I bought one roll and $8 worth of loose. The roll had 2 40% so I went to my banks ATM nearby to get as much cash as I could so I could go back and buy the rest of the rolls.

I came back to the bank thinking there was going to be several rolls available. The teller that I dealt with fifteen minutes earlier was stepping out of the bank to have his break. Grrrrr. I told him I was back for the rest of the halves and he went right back inside to his window. That was nice. The way he responded earlier when he had halves I was under the impression that there were many rolls back there.

He said "I have 22". I said " I'll take all 22 (!)" I started to count out $220 but he said , "no, I have $22 dollars worth".

Each roll had another 40% half so that was four today, seven this week.

crh3_22_13.jpg

Later, I was at the thrift store. Often I see cheap state quarter folders in the random bric-a-brac sections. I always check them and of course there is usually nothing .

Today I saw a Harris Westward Nickels folder. Nothing was in it. I continued to sift through a lot of other random stuff on those shelves.

Eventually I found a Whitman Roosevelt 1965+ dimes folder. Opened it up and the last section contained seven clad dimes and in the blank fill-in-your own spots were four Mercury dimes. Not bad for .99

Upvote 0

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice finds there!!! You've got it dialed in to where you're even find the silver in the thrift shows for close to face value. Congrats! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread