1959 nickel, UNC or Proof?

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I can tell the difference between clad and silver, but condition is something foreign to me.

761915d1363670734-tlowery04-2013-finds-thread-uploa%20dfromtaptalk1363670726051.jpg

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used and worth 5 cents. Go for the silver its worth spot in any shape.

OP
OP
tlowery04

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
such a nice luster to it though, oh well, still the best '59 i've found. That box had three buffaloes and three war nickels in it so i was happy. My next box had 7 1941 nickels and no war nickels or buffaloes.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only point was its a nice nick what do you do with them? If you put the time in to silver you will start adding up the silver oz the war nicks are cool.

OP
OP
tlowery04

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pick out the nice ones for albums, don't find them very often but good to find anyway. I try to stack silver but I don't have the bank roll for it yet. 500$ is about all i can tie up at one time. Also nobody in my area will sell me halves or large dollars so I can't really pursue that avenue. I'm having fun with my pennies dimes and nickels so far though. I've thought about selling the dimes I have (see my finds thread in my signature) but the strangest thing happens when I find AG in the boxes... I just can't seem to bring myself to sell them. Maybe the next time it hits 40$ an oz I'll hit up the assay office and drop some coinage.

OP
OP
tlowery04

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Sagittarius

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
My only point was its a nice nick what do you do with them? If you put the time in to silver you will start adding up the silver oz the war nicks are cool.

I see your point Tim, however there are many on this forum that are hunting for more than silver.

Many here hunt for cool finds, errors, key dates, Great shape coins for their albums etc....

My guess is the majority of posters are simply in it for the AG and have zero interest in the numismatic value of coins. However, there are definitely people here who do have a desire to find other things than just silver. I do a high volume of halves and dimes for silver but I love searching pennies and nickels as well. While not as profitable, I get much more enjoyment out of them.

To each their own and if they are enjoying what they are doing, good for them.

To the post-- I do not see this being a proof. A very nice shape coin though. A coin found in circulation cannot be, by definition, a UNC/BU.

MU

Last edited:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By definition, uncirculated would be the opposite of circulated. But if you apply that definition to coins, your left with special mint sets, proofs, and NIFC's By definition, all business strike (normal) coins would be considered circulated because they start out in rolls or bags. So in our world, brilliant uncirculated coins can be found in rolls. In coin talk, BU or uncirculated is a reference to a coins condition.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have to agree, nickels and cents are very fun to do anytime and especially when your waiting for boxes of halves to come in..I do however like the chances of getting a coin (nickel or cent) worth way more than halves found in a box, its just fun to think about.

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Sag. I would keep it. I have a really nice 1958 that I found. I like the good conditioned coins that are old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread