Funny stories about spending your "dump money"

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. 2 weeks ago I went through the drive-thru at a local BK. I usually try to pay in halves or whatever CRH dump change I have and I just so happen to have a bunch of plastic wrapped dime rolls. Bought a large soda ($2.50ish), handed employee 1 roll of dimes......now I was expecting to get 2 dollar bills and 2 quarters back.......instead the employee pulled 25 dimes out of the roll and handed the half roll back to me??? WTF, who does that!?!?!

2. Last weekend I went to another drive-thru, another soda (im addicted to fountain soda lol!). Total was $2.55 or so. Hand the employee $3 in halves, get the soda and no change. I ask for my change and they hand me 6 cents......at that point I just to myself "forget-it" and drive off laughing.

Lesson learned - paying in "strange coins" or in any way out of the ordinary and minimum wage employees isnt always the smartest thing one can do, but it can be highly entertaining!

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. 2 weeks ago I went through the drive-thru at a local BK. I usually try to pay in halves or whatever CRH dump change I have and I just so happen to have a bunch of plastic wrapped dime rolls. Bought a large soda ($2.50ish), handed employee 1 roll of dimes......now I was expecting to get 2 dollar bills and 2 quarters back.......instead the employee pulled 25 dimes out of the roll and handed the half roll back to me??? WTF, who does that!?!?!

I like this one. :)

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I spend halves alllllll the time, and I've had my share of interesting experiences. Many times I've had people think they're dollar coins, and I had to correct 'em (gotta keep karma on my side haha). I've had other people in the checkout line buy them from me. But the most common remark I get is, "Ooooh, haven't seen these in a while."

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just yesterday i paid for caribou with halves, $14 ish? The kid at the drive through starts laughing and says " I have one of these at my house, i thought i was like the only person who had one anymore" Then i pointed to the box i had just picked up from the bank in the passenger seat and he just gets bug eyed..

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think this is brilliant. That is the smart ass drive thru worker I would have been too.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilmington - I dont think it was smart ass, I sincerely think she didnt know how much was in a roll of dimes. It wasnt any trouble to me either way, the dump bank was right next door. In fact alot of places appreciate me peying in rolled coin, saves them trips to the bank

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that was the type of smart ass I was when I was a kid. I would have handed you the loose dimes back with a smile and let up a raucous laughter as soon as you pulled away.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used ikes at a mcdonalds and the girl working the register had that ummmm... Face, which is normal for most teens. But she gives them to another worker asking if they could take them, she didnt no either, so she goes and asks the manager or supervisor, comes back and says no we cant except these.

I didnt want to make a big deal about it so i just paid with my card n went on my way. I cant believe the person in charge actually said they couldn't take it.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really they wouldnt take ikes?

I spent some at wendys and the cashier was like freaking out when he saw them, lol! calling everyone over to check them out... haha

That dime story is hilarious!

Its funny paying in halves, watching the cashier figuring out where to put them in their drawer!!! lol

ETA, reminds me of a video from a year or 2 ago from author Mark Dice, trying to buy a taco with a 1 oz gold coin.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used ikes at a mcdonalds and the girl working the register had that ummmm... Face, which is normal for most teens. But she gives them to another worker asking if they could take them, she didnt no either, so she goes and asks the manager or supervisor, comes back and says no we cant except these.

I didnt want to make a big deal about it so i just paid with my card n went on my way. I cant believe the person in charge actually said they couldn't take it.

That is funny! It's like when you hand a cashier $3 for a $2.25 transaction - then remember you have a quarter in your pocket - and then all hell breaks loose!

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used them before where the cashier has to ask if they can take it. Every other place has excepted them. That video was hilarious, was he honestly just going to chalk it up to a loss if she would have kept the coin?

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
The other day I was paying for somethings at Lowe's and while the cashier kept flipping the coin over and over looking for the answer, "they are half dollars," I told her. "Yeah," She said looking back up at me trying to act like she knew something, "but what are they worth?"

I have a gas station where I pay for gas and cigarettes with halves that ask me for my rolled change. I can dump 40-60 dollars a day of nickels and dimes with them because I think (they never said and I didn't ask) they do have to pay per roll with their business account at the bank. They just say it saves them the trouble of having to go to the bank for change. Last week I brought him 100 in halves and 20 in Ikes because he was visiting his Dad who saves them.

We just paid 300 in halves and 102 in nickels and 80 cents for our mortgage payment today. I pay it every month with change of some kind, 1 less check to write.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used them before where the cashier has to ask if they can take it. Every other place has excepted them. That video was hilarious, was he honestly just going to chalk it up to a loss if she would have kept the coin?

Yeah he does it all the time... the last one of his I saw, he was offering a free 5$ bill or 1 oz ASE... no one took the ASE... Some people didnt even take either, they were afraid lol

He is an activist for sound money and anti-big brother :)

Last edited:

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats funny, ill have to check out his other videos

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was paying for pizza deliveries with Ikes for about a month. Invariably, all of the drivers were foreign born. None of them knew what Ikes were, but once I told them they were really happy (I tip delivery drivers well because I used to deliver pizzas in college).

One day I paid for lunch in the mcdonald's drive through with halves. My total came to $4.58 so I handed the chick 10 halves. It was quite possibly the most entertainment I have ever gotten out of $5. She took the coins, closed the drive through window and stared at the coins from both sides for literally 3 minutes. Next she counted them. Then she looked at them for another couple minutes. Finally, she opened the window and said: "These are half dollars, right?" To which I replied: "Yes, they are half dollars". So she said: "Ok, you owe me another $2.48". I said: "No, I do not. I gave you ten of them" She then proceeds to close the window and stare at the coins for another five minutes pondering our exchange. Finally, she counted them again and gave me the correct change. It was seriously hilarious.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend all my dump money on the same thing every week ??????? More boxes I flip flop my money like a fish out of water.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Not really a funny story but, I do pay mortgage every month with 3 boxes of halves, been doing it for over a year now. HH, Maverick.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Young teen rejected my Susan B. Anthony dollar as 'foreign money'. After thinking about it, had to agree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread