So Unbelievable, it Must be Counterfeit - Steel 1944 Cent

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't posted my finds or my thoughts here in quite some time - all in protest. I just so strongly disagreed with the overall atmosphere and with how . . . never mind. Let's talk coin.

I found a 1944 steel cent in a bag from a new pick up bank - it was kicked to the far right by my Gen2 Frankensorter. I know that it is steel because it is STRONGLY attracted to a magnet (1944 Steel Cent - YouTube). My guess is that it is counterfeit - mostly because it's weight is 10% high compared to a 1943 steel.

I'm posting the find here, but not discussing it. I am actively discussing it at Realcent.org ? View topic - Found 1944 Steel Cent

HH

Attachments

• 1944 (Custom).jpg
    1944 (Custom).jpg
    182 KB · Views: 853
  • Obverse (Custom).jpg
    Obverse (Custom).jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 814
  • Reverse (Custom).jpg
    Reverse (Custom).jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 695
Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting - the reverse looks good, but the obverse looks a little smoothed over ( possible plated )

What is the exact weight? Foreign plachet perhaps.

I am undecided - I but I appreciate your hesitation to get all excited. In numismatics, it usually leads to a let down.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm no expert but it looks fine to me. And why would the evil Chinese fake that coin?

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... why would the evil Chinese fake that coin?

Because if it is real, it is worth over $50k in all but the worst grade. (The Ultimate Guide to 1944 Steel Cents: Like 1943 Copper Pennies, They are Pennies that Coin Collectors Crave - The Fun Times Guide to U.S. Coins)

http://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/2013/01/1944-steel-penny.php said:
Worth far more than the famous 1909-S VDB penny – the rarest regular-issue Lincoln cent, the 1944 steel penny is worth between $75,000 and $110,000, based on condition.

treidm

Mar 10, 2013
Leavenworth, Kansas
Detector(s) used
~MineLab Explorer XS~
~10.5” DD, 8" Concentric~
~Sun Ray X-1 Target Probe~
~GreyGhost Nugget Buster NDT~
~ML XT 18000 - 10" Elliptical DD~
~Lesche Tools & Brunton 15TDCL Compass~
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lincoln Cent Weights

1909-1942 Bronze
3.11 g

1943 Bronze
3.11 g

1943 Zinc Coated Steel
2.70 g

1944 Zinc Coated Steel
2.70 g

1944-1946 Spent Cartridge Cases Used
3.11 g

1947-1961 Bronze
3.11 g

1962-1981 Guilding Metal Brass
3.11 g

1982 Guilding Metal Brass
3.11 g

1982-Date Copper Plated Zinc
2.50 g

....Reid

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets us know what you find out...

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fingers crossed for you madwest. That would be the find of the decade if it's authentic!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at eleven 1944 cents I have here. All of them have even sized "4's. Your photo as it appears to me shows an altered second "4". It appears to me to be slightly smaller which could indicate tampering. For the potential value if its real, it would be worth having it graded.

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a Seattle area coin dealer at a coin show a couple months ago who said to watch out for altered or fake coins as a result of striking Boeing engineers having too much time. They have the equipment and know-how to take out letters, add letters, even hollow out coins. I was showing this dealer a cent with an unusually large lamination and he said it looked like their handy work.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
interesting - the reverse looks good, but the obverse looks a little smoothed over ( possible plated )

What is the exact weight? Foreign plachet perhaps.

I am undecided - I but I appreciate your hesitation to get all excited. In numismatics, it usually leads to a let down.

It weighs 3.0g. That is lighter than a 1944 Brass cent and heavier than a 1943 Steel cent. It looks to the naked eye to be very slightly thicker than a 1943. Those observations make me believe that it is a struck counterfeit. It just doesn't look cast to me.

Because if it is real, it is worth over $50k in all but the worst grade.

It's not so much about grade, but about authentic or not. There are expected to be less than 30 genuine errors of this type.

The US Mint used the 1943 steel cent planchets in 1944 to make the Belgian 2 francs. That is probably how most of the 1944 steel cents originated.

That's what my research shows too. It's a different story if it is a 'D' or 'S' but Philly did the Belgian minting on the Zn over Steel blanks. It should however match the 1943 in dimensions a weight - at least that is what I've learned.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Fingers crossed for you madwest. That would be the find of the decade if it's authentic!
Thanks for the well wishes mountainman. But, I don't think it will be authentic. As far as I'm concerned, your '55 DDO is still the most remarkable CRH find I've read about.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although the 2nd. 4 doesn't look exactly like the first, (a little High & or Smaller)
IF it sticks to a magnet, I'd send it in for confirmation.

You should be able to tell though IF the second 4 is a paste on

Forget the Chinese this is either real, or the date or outside
metal content has been altered in the U.S.

1944 (Custom).jpg

also seems to Bow slightly, But I'm no expert

1944 (Custom).jpg

http://cointrackers.com/coins/13593/1944-steel-wheat-penny/

Last edited:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I would take it to be graded. I mean seriously. there has been 1 other legit 1944 steel cent found from what I remember and that bad boy is worth some serious 5 digit money. At worst you loss 50 bucks. At best, you will have some wicked money to pay off any debts you have or buy some nice silver with. either way, congrads on the coin find.

Sincerely, GarouLady

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The '4' dont look right. But, that doesnt mean its a fake. It's worth an examination and grading. I had a 1909-S Indian Head I found in a saw dust pile at an abandoned saw mill in Oregon. Every coin dealer or 'expert' that looked at it told me it looked fake (the 's' didn't look right) and, that that particular coin is one that is faked a lot. I held onto that coin for over 40 years until I met a coin dealer 2 years ago that had the same problem. He offered me book value if it graded out. I took him up on the deal and he sent it to 2 different services. Both came back as genuine VF. Take it to a few coin dealers until you find someone thats interested. They pay between $20 - $35 per coin for grading. It's an interesting coin. Worth a look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread