One way Ag gets back into circulation...

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
talking with a friend at the bank a few years back and he told me he had picked up almost 800$ in silver coin from a woman who was cleaning out a safe deposit box. And no, he didn't get it all.

So the story goes, a woman comes into the bank, probably in her mid 40's. She signs in to her and her husbands safe deposit box and after a short while comes to the teller stand with his coin collection. She then tells the teller she wants bills for all of the coins. The friend of mine interrupts and tells the woman she can go accross the street to the estate metal buying store and get a lot more than face value for the coins she has on hand. After 10 minutes or so of trying to get her to understand why it's better to trade them for at least their metal content she relays that they are going through a divorce and she doesn't care about the money she just wants the folding money for the coins. So, they oblige. All in all she traded in 4 albums of silver and gold coins, several silver eagle rolls, and three bank bags of misc silver coins. She took the money, counted it out and locked half of it back in their deposit box with a note. The tellers all took a share of it and he said there were evidently some of the coins that made it out to customers because the next few weeks he kept finding silver dimes and quarters in his teller tray.

I told someone else about this and she said that her ex husband left her alone without a vehicle and she had to go to work. She was about at the end of her rope and called a cab. She paid the taxi cab with coins from his silver dollar collection. They divorced shortly thereafter, but largely due to other reasons.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Great story. I remember hearing about another wife going through a nasty divorce. Her husband (ran off with his Secretary) called her (after the divorce was final) and said sell everything (that belonged to him) and send him the money (or something like that). So, she sold a 6 month old Mercedes for $400!
killingme.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread