323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still skunkin'... sorta.

Technically, my skunk streak ended late Friday night when I pulled a solitary '64 out of the 3rd-to-last roll of the week. So, I went 33 consecutive boxes with NOTHING, then pulled the '64 out of what would have been Skunkybox #34. To be honest, I was strangely disappointed finding the lone silver, as I was morbidly enjoying this skunk run. That feeling was short lived! :laughing7:

The stench of the little critter still lingers, however, as the numbers show. Since mid-February things have been truly abysmal. The last 82 boxes have yielded a combined total of only 10 silvers. Going to do another 24 boxes this week, so we'll see if things turn around... I won't give up without a fight!

Hope everyone does well this coming week!

March 18-22.JPG

Upvote 0

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it helps, I 'll will declared today as "Mister 323GTX" day just because you have such a good record keeping spreadsheet.
Do you also CRH in PRC?

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it helps, I 'll will declared today as "Mister 323GTX" day just because you have such a good record keeping spreadsheet.
Do you also CRH in PRC?

Much appreciated, Hokie... but being called "Mister" just makes me feel old. :laughing7:

Haven't done any CRHing in the PRC (nor metal detecting... which is something I would LOVE to do, but don't feel like being a long-term guest of the State).

IMHO, CRHing in China would be a monumental waste of time because there simply is nothing to look for. To my knowledge, everything minted after 1949 has been clad. Anything before 1949 would roughly be equivalent to our Confederate money in terms of its legitimacy as legal tender. About the only thing one does occasionally come across that you don't see much of anymore are the "fen" coins (100 "fen" equal one "yuan", which is the standard currency unit). But, those are really useless little coins (perhaps made of tin?). Once in a while you might come across an FEC (Foreign Exchange Certificate), which they discontinued back in the early 1990s. Not sure what FECs would be worth as a collectible, probably not much.

Happy hunting!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Much appreciated, Hokie... but being called "Mister" just makes me feel old. :laughing7:

Haven't done any CRHing in the PRC (nor metal detecting... which is something I would LOVE to do, but don't feel like being a long-term guest of the State).

IMHO, CRHing in China would be a monumental waste of time because there simply is nothing to look for. To my knowledge, everything minted after 1949 has been clad. Anything before 1949 would roughly be equivalent to our Confederate money in terms of its legitimacy as legal tender. About the only thing one does occasionally come across that you don't see much of anymore are the "fen" coins (100 "fen" equal one "yuan", which is the standard currency unit). But, those are really useless little coins (perhaps made of tin?). Once in a while you might come across an FEC (Foreign Exchange Certificate), which they discontinued back in the early 1990s. Not sure what FECs would be worth as a collectible, probably not much.

Happy hunting!

The fens are aluminum. I'll check on the value of the FECs.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Much appreciated, Sagittarius98!
I might have a few of the FECs tucked away in some old boxes from my first stay in China back in 1994... I haven't given them much thought until now.

It seems like only the 50 and 100 yuan ones may command a premium in circulated condition. The rest are worth at most a couple dollars in uncirculated.

Do you have any fens? Some early dates are worth a few dollars. It seems like all the 1987 1 jiao are worth $1 in XF.

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like only the 50 and 100 yuan ones may command a premium in circulated condition. The rest are worth at most a couple dollars in uncirculated.

Do you have any fens? Some early dates are worth a few dollars. It seems like all the 1987 1 jiao are worth $1 in XF.

Thank you for checking on this, Sag. Unfortunately the FECs I thought I had were actually a couple of 10 Yuan notes from 1965, and I gave away ALL my coins to my nieces as souvenirs (yes, cheapo Uncle) . I'll likely be heading back to Beijing this fall, so I'll do a little searching then.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for checking on this, Sag. Unfortunately the FECs I thought I had were actually a couple of 10 Yuan notes from 1965, and I gave away ALL my coins to my nieces as souvenirs (yes, cheapo Uncle) . I'll likely be heading back to Beijing this fall, so I'll do a little searching then.

What shape are the 10 yuan in? They would be worth about $2 in decent shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread